DIY PRICES

Lautrec

I was surprised to read in Friday's Daily Mail that the prices in the DIY Stores in France are 20 to 30% cheaper than here in the UK. As one about to make a permanent move to France in the next few months,could any kind person inform me that this is in fact true, or is it media misinformation?

BIG subject this.

My personal expierence down south is that some things are and some things are not. A big tub of white emulsion can cost 60 here as opposed to 22 in B&Q for 10Ltr.

You can't compair electrical and plumbing stuff really as it is different.

Wallpaper from 5 per roll but the choice is limited. Oh yes you can't get english lining paper here.

Chris

I had a brief trip to the UK last week and felt that the prices I was seeing in B&Q were roughly the same as prices in France, what I mean is that if something was priced at 20 in B&Q the price in France is 20 Euros! Probably an illusion but generally a lot of DIY prices do seem cheaper in France. Paint does seem notably dearer in France although I have no complaints about the quality.

Does it matter? The price is what it is. If you live in France you pay the local price. If you have a second home and have access to supplies in the UK questions of transport and convenience come into it, ie if you have a busy weekend of DIY ahead it is easier to load up the car in the Uk and get stuck in to the job as soon as you arrive than mess about tracking down supplies when you arrive.

LAST EDITED ON 19-Apr-03 AT 09:18 AM (GMT)

Depends what you want. The last Dulux emulsion paint I bought here was well over 40 for a 2.5 litre tin......the same paint is being advertised in the UK for around 15 per tin.

Some of the electricial stuff......well frankly I can't use the adjectives my husband uses about it on here and I am talking about what is purportedly decent makes. Lots of things you can't compare like with like at all and it can be swings and roundabouts.

What I can say is that that 'competitive' aspect of UK sales is sadly lacking in our area and personally I know some of my future projects would be a lot cheaper if I could buy the stuff in the UK. I won't ofcourse, but it would be.

LOL you have to hand it to british newspapers, love talking out of their backsides don't they....

I think that if one compares the cheapest item in each sector, the newspaper report is probably correct. After this however, as Teamed up says it's swings and roundabouts.
Notable price differences are for Ikea kitchens which can be as much as 40% cheaper in the UK, and as already mentioned, emulsion paint. Constructional timber too, is cheaper at Wickes than at our local sawmill.
We try to plan our requirements ahead and make the occasional trip to our nearest Brico Depot which is usually far cheaper than alternative DIYs. (Competition? -Brico Depot, Castorama, B&Q are all in the same group- owned by UK based Kingfisher, which also owns Darty and But).

An amusing point regarding the quality of French electrical fittings- there's now a plastic household tool available, specially made to pull out plugs leaving the socket still in the wall! It could only happen.......
SC

I agree with almost all the comments on price below. The bathroom in our UK loft conversion was purchased from Leroy Merlin in Bolougne. Tiles are much better value despite higher rates of TVA. The good quality / expensive tiles we purchased were made in the UK and were 55% of the lowest UK price I could find / negotiate. Amongst others one of the bathroom showrooms on the continuation of the Kings Road (London) has an account at Leroy Merlin Calais

On the competition front, M. Bricolage and Briconaughts are I believe purchasing groups like Spar rather than chains and there are independents to be found in the grotty parts of some centre commercial.