>we know that we should use
>a workman with a siret
>number but does this only
>prove that he is registered
>or does it also prove
>that he is qualified to
>do the work? Does it
>give any guarantee?

We are the first customer of a French registered UK carpenter. We were able to look at his house that he is renovating himself, my husband is 'labouring' for him and has done the same thing on a renovation in the UK so knows what to look for.

His work is very good. The funny thing is that my husband has a great deal of project management experience and it is he who is ensuring that materials are ordered and delivered on time and the other professionals (mason etc) are doing the work in the correct order and to time. He is also an accountant so is doing costings and drawing plans (the latter is new to him).

We did have original plans for the framwork of the mezzanine drawn up by an architect, John is doing the adjustments and small scale planning - I am beginning to wonder if there is a need for such a trade in France - site PM's are common in the UK.

Di

http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

LAST EDITED ON 30-Apr-03 AT 05:27 AM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON 30-Apr-03 AT 05:24AM (GMT)

>we know that we should use
>a workman with a siret
>number but does this only
>prove that he is registered
>or does it also prove
>that he is qualified to
>do the work? Does it
>give any guarantee?

It proves he/she is registered if the Siret number is correct, but will give no guarrantees or assurances of the quality of work. This can only be achieved if you ask for proof of the artisans decenelle and resposabilite civile insurance and also obtain references if you can. You can check out a SIREN number on this site here; http://www.cofacerating.fr/portail/recherche_entreprise_inter/recherche_entreprise.asp?IP=ECHOS
You can use my number for a test if you want which is 434247433
To get a SIRET/SIREN number for the building trades you have to prove your competences to the Chambre des Metiers. Some are more strict than others. It took me 6 months and a lot of hassle to get mine as I have qualifiications/competences in more than one trade but I am glad they gave me a grilling. It is much different in the Uk where Fred the postman can set up as Frank the electrician overnight without having any checks made.

Paul

Ask to actually see the certificate covering the Rsponsibilit Deennale and Civile if you are worried and check that he is covered for what he is proposing to do, the more trades the higher the risk and therefore the premium paid. It is not a common insurance to buy in France and only certain companies will provide this compulsory insurance. As Paul says, that website is good, I have often checked people out in our region to see if they are "on the black" and some surprising results have been found.