Architectural salvage

Normandie_Bou

There was a posting similar to this on 9 May from someone in Brittany. I see he didn't have any replies!

I have never come across salvage yards specifically for building materials (except that they are often described in the agent's details as 'farmhouse for renovation' ) although I will be interested to know if someone else has.

The nearest I can think of is the Depot Vente which can have all sorts of stuff for sale, more often furniture, but I have seen building materials as well. The other possibility is Emmaus charity shops which usually have an outdoor yard full of stuff.

I have known people use reclaimed items from old houses and the transaction always seems to be by word of mouth.

We have to buy used granite blocks for lintels and coins in our renovation contracts and have a supplier locally with an extremely large selection of everything you could want to do with granite. Its not cheap though - six blocks and two lintels are nearly 4000F. Try looking in your local paper as there are lots of ads at the weekends for second hand materials.

They do exist. There is a really interesting one in Pont Audemer - Normandy (27) which seems to have just about everything you could wish for but appointments are required for a visit. There is a more down to earth place on the N13 between Lisieux and Brionne which has old timbers, bricks, tiles etc.

Best Regards

Alan E.