FAQ - Finding tradesmen

Will

So how do I go about finding somebody to do work for me in France?

Many ways advertisements, word of mouth, asking others, such as friends or neighbours, agents through whom you have bought your house but best of all through genuine personal recommendation.

Is it best to use French or British tradesmen?

French workers are obviously familiar with local practices and regulations. However there can be communication problems unless you speak good French. British businesses can speak your language and know the sort of things British customers want. Good French businesses tend to be booked up months in advance, so you may have a long wait - and a criticism often levelled at French tradesmen is that they can be somewhat casual about keeping to agreed timescales.

Why are so many people on this forum against using British builders etc?

They do, unfortunately, have a reputation for sharp practices and shoddy workmanship. This is not entirely justified there are plenty of conscientious, legal and competent British-owned businesses in France. But on the other hand, there are many new English-speaking residents and holiday home owners who dont speak French, dont know what to look for when choosing a builder, and are all too ready to provide an easy target for the unscrupulous. There are plenty of cowboys who may, for example, be hiding from those to whom they owe money and cant operate in Britain ready to take advantage of these opportunities.

So what should I look for when choosing a tradesman?

The general advice on this forum is to find a French registered business.

How do I know if a business is registered in France?

Advertisements and correspondence should carry a number, known as a SIRET. Beware of those saying just French registered or Registration pending. If they dont quote a number they cannot be checked out or traced. And although a new business can begin advertising in advance of registration it cant actually trade until it has a SIRET number.

So is a SIRET number a guarantee of a genuine business?

Unfortunately this is not necessarily the case. Your French-registered roofer, with a SIRET number, may actually be registered as a gardener.

How can I find out if a SIRET is genuine?

You can consult the database of registered businesses on several web sites. Most give comprehensive information on the businesses, but you have to pay for it. A site which is free, but can be a bit temperamental and inconsistent is this one: http://www.cofacerating.fr/portail/recherche_entreprise_inter/recherche_entreprise.asp?IP=ECHOS
You can enter the SIREN number (the first 9 digits of the SIRET enter the number with no spaces) and get basic details of the business. Alternatively you can enter the proprietors name, and the department number, and get the same information.

So if a business is French registered, I can be assured of a good job?

The answer should be yes, but again its not always the case. Tradesmen have to register through the local Chambre de Metiers who should check that candidates are capable and properly qualified. Part of the registration involves a training course in running the business side of things. The way these standards are applied varies considerably in some regions they are rigorous, in others hardly any checks are carried out and although the course is offered the candidates may not even turn up, or if they do in the case of non-French workers - they wont understand any of it because they dont speak French (theres no examination at the end). This sounds horrendous but it happens. The best way is, again, through recommendation. Remember that French tradesmen are just as capable of sharp practice and poor work as British, natio