RAILWAY LINE ON PROPERTY BOUNDARY

Tiger Lilly

Hi there

Any comments negative or positive would be much appreciated on buying a house with a railway line on one boundary of the property. (Limoges - Thiviers - Pèrigueux non TGV line). 

I have found a property that is perfect in every other aspect but I am not too sure about the railway line - noise, safety etc.

Many thanks

Tiger Lilly

I am fairly sure that the Mairie's can take with little difficulty part of one's land that borders on a public route. You need to ask if the SNCF can do the same thing. I know people who live opposite quite a main line and swear that they no longer hear the trains.

Depends how far away it is. I used to have a railway line at the bottom of a 100-foot garden (well, it wasn't mine, exactly, but you see what I mean) and we soon got used to it. I suppose the type of trains running is also relevant - big diesel goods locomotives or relatively quiet 2-car electric jobbies.

Hi..

You need to stock up on blue tack to stick under the glasses etc....

In Cornwall where I live ,I live alone side a train track when I first moved the kids were running up the stairs to see the trains and up the stairs of the level crossing to see the trains go by...

Now five years later I hav`nt heard a train for months[british-rail]it`s like the opera buff dick says you just get used to it...

I would rather live near a train track rather than a busy road/motorway....

Mick

You need to do a search via a avocat to find out if there are any plans for up grading the line, this may involve access to your land, conpulsery purchace for track expansion ect. SNCF should have a 10 year plan that you can access, though any up grade could take up to 20 years to put in place.

This is a very little used line.  There are not many trains in a day.  As it is a branch line and not a main line I would not expect it to change to being busier, as some small stations have closed in the past few years as the general population declines.

Our house is about a mile away from this line south of Nexon and although its not a main line in the UK sense, it still gets a reasonable amount of traffic from TER services and is used for freight on a variable day to day basis - have a look at the SNCF timetable. Also depends on the track near you - we're near an incline and so do hear the diesel loco's when they've got a heavy/long load. Having said that, its not like the West Coast mainline - I actually like to hear them but thats me - may not suit everybody.

As regards upgrading, I think they have just cancelled the "Pendigo" (may have spelt this wrong) rail upgrade project between Limoges and Toulouse which was the only big SNCF project we found out about when we did some research on this and in fact I think that was also taking the line down thru Brive and not Thivers.