Ramoneur needed near Chalus Dept 87

Le martin-pêcheur

[quote]I can't remember the one I booked two years ago, and he STILL hasn't turned up! Same area though, told me TWICE he'd come. I'd put a stainless Gaine in place and forget the lazy gits! Alcazar[/quote]

LOL probably the same guy that we phoned last year!! Problem is that you need to have chimney swept annually as a condition of house insurance - so, if your ramoneur hasn't turned up are you still covered?

We removed old cuisiniere today and installed super huge woodburner with flue. Had a look up chimney and it appears clear but the cuisiniere was clogged up with clinker so will buy some rods and sweep chimney ourselves until M. Ramoneur turns up. Maybe we should add this to our business - chimneysweeps seem to be like gold dust! Anyone got a spare kid?

Tony and Sue.......have you tried yellow pages or asking your neighbours............or doing it yourselves?

regards......helen

We are in Dept 50 so no help on finding you a ramoneur but....

our local DIY stores sell "ramonage" logs to burn in your fire/grate which seem to come with a "certificate" (so the box says). Box implies they do something to the chimney to remove deposits. Has anyone used these? Are they really an alternative to a sweep?

Any info gratefully received. We allowed a "travelling" ramoneur to do ours. Took ten minutes, used my black sack and dustpan and brush and charged 80 euros. No certificate as such given just a receipt with name and address.

Hereford

I use these ramonage logs regularly.  The chemicals in them degrade the sticky tars in the soot and make it easier to clean out.  The certificate contained in the pack is of no account as far as insurance goes.  If you clean the chimney yourself, keep a log of dates etc.   After burning the ramonage log there is usually a very small amount of soot fall.  Some of the soot will be carried up and out of the chimney by hot air as well.  Ramonage logs work better if you have a long straight chimney.  You must clean the chimney by brush at least once a year - depending on how much wood you burn and the type of wood, eg. pine has a lot of resin and makes more tar.

Be very careful, some friends of ours near La Coquille had a chimney sweep last week actually turn up. He quoted them 60 euros per chimney (or thereabouts), there were three, but they ended up paying about 500 euro! He also told them their flues were the wrong ones and their chimney stacks not high enough. Don't ask me how but we have a feeling they were very ripped off.

We clean our chimney ourselves and use the logs, noting date and time on the certificate. We cleaned ours yesterday, long straight chimney, and hardly any soot at all. We also burn the little fluid sacs during the winter, about twice a month also and they work well, cleaning the whole fire, glass and all.