Smoke alarms....what are they then?!!

Vicks

Can anyone give us any advice on regulations regarding smoke alarms? Are they a legal obligation here and if so what are the must dos and donts? I tried discussing this with our neighbours but they seem to think we are mad for even asking! Apparently no-one has them here and you certainly don't have to install them! Any confirmation of this much appreciated!

Vicks (58)

My answer to 'what are they then?!!'.............. are, very very expensive here.

You can buy them at Castorama, but I bring them back and I've brought them for friends and neighbours.

Never heard of any rules about them in households though I suppose there will be in public places, perhaps.

[quote]Can anyone give us any advice on regulations regarding smoke alarms? Are they a legal obligation here and if so what are the must dos and donts? I tried discussing this with our neighbours but they ...[/quote]

Glad you mentioned them, never had a fire but have always had them fitted, something else to add to my 'last minute list'!

As for open fires, I think you can get alarms that can be tuned, so they are not so sensitive, usually for kitchens I believe.

Regards,

Bob

We also have installed smoke detectors in our French house.  They are much more expensive in France so we brought ours from the UK.  We are about to install carbon monoxide detectors too.  We bought one for our son when he went to uni and had to live in student accommodation - this was for our peace of mind - he thought we were over reacting till he saw the sort of accommodation offered to students.  I have seen these in Castorama in Limoges but did not take much note at the time of the price.  Has anyone done a recent price comparison on cm detectors?