wc a broyeur

jonancell

hi

I am considering installing a wc a broyeur and wondered if anyone else has one and if so the pro`s and cons of the unit. I am fitting it in a upstairs bathroom and it would be much easier to route a smaller waste pipe due to the position of my large water heater.

cheers jon.

We have installed one of these upstairs.  It was very easy. Do not forget that you need electricity for the pump.  You may also need to fit an aerator valve to prevent suction removing the water in the u bends of shower, bath etc.  It all depends on the configuration of your system.  I think they are great and we will be using this type again.   Do not forget that it is regulations to have one conventional toilet in case of problems with the electricity supply.  If in doubt, check with the Marie.

For certain types of installations, they are great - small pipes can be neatly ducted about, and so its handy if trhe wc has to be for eg. the opposite side to the house from the fosse or the mains sewer.

The noise isn't so bad, I serviced one that had a 3 tone whistle like when a captain is piped aborad ship. (It wasn't meant to it just did!)

The rules about not chucking stuff down the wc counts double for these. Poos, wees and paper only. I have had to unblock a few that had tampons and condoms and ear buds and god knows what down them, and us plumbers don't come cheap for those filthy kind of jobs!

Stew

(eeuw! I have to go wash my hands now just remembering it!)

[quote]We have installed one of these upstairs. It was very easy. Do not forget that you need electricity for the pump. You may also need to fit an aerator valve to prevent suction removing the water in th...[/quote]

The aerator valve is called a Clapet aérateur here and the come for a range of pvc pipe sizes. They're nifty for allowing sanitary systems to suck in air but not let any smells out. Make sure they are installed higher than the highest u-bend. But theye are very small and can be hidden inside the bath cowling or boxed in the corner with the other pipes.

They are also useful for stopping your pipes from going "Glug glug glug" when you pull the plug out of the bath.

And if the stupid plumber hasn't installed a vent stack for your conventional wc it won't flush properly, causing you to blame the fosse septic and all sorts, because it simply wouldn't occur to you that a plumber would install a new system and not have a vent stack. I mean, really.

Stew

(Its obviously something that I've got to let go . . .)

We have been considering adding an upstairs loo, and I thought (with my non existant plumbing knowledge) not too difficult as the space to be used is in an corner adjacent to outside wall and near to the fosse .  The plumber (local French) recommended a broyeur wc as then he could then use the water outlet from the handbasin already situated there.  We shelved the idea as thought could be too noisy as only partition wall from bedroom and also above lounge - hubby is also concerned that could be opening a can of worms ?? if attaching a new outlet to the fosse which is working perfectly.... reading this thread I am rethinking this - what are the general thoughts? any advice wiould be greatly appreciated.

An additional outlet to an existing fosse shouldn't be a problem - if you're still the same number of people do the same amount of poo! Coz its the volume of solids the fosse has to deal with and it doesn't care if four dumps come from one wc or 1 dump from four.

Even ahve gusest for a week or two wouldn't overburden it too much. But if you double your householders permanantly, then you may (only may, coz ideally the fosse will be large enough to be normally be say, only 40% under load) have to reconsider

Stew

We think our macerator WC is far more efficient at its task than the old water flush types, which just rely on gravity to work.  Some newcomers are a little reticent ,however, when they see the pan is connected to he nearby electric socket!

Did have one minor problem when the thing wouldn't flush, but easy to remedy as it was just a leak in the air pipe.  The operating button (with bellows) is connected to the electrics by a clear empty pipe (for safety) and operates by air pressure.

Lots of useful information, how and where to fit, flow rate and height tables and a complete blow up diagram of all working parts can be found on the website:

www.sfa.fr

Only think I haven't found yet is a parts stockist, if anything ever goes wrong.  Anyone know of one in the Crozon Peninsula / Quimper / Brest area?  Have tried pages jaunes without luck.