Brilliant stuff for pointing

Weedon

If you don't already know about it there is a brilliant product for pointing stone walls which I have just discovered. Its called Procalit F made by Weber. It comes in 25kg bags and costs about 11€ a bag.  It is lime based and is just so easy to use as it stays together on the trowel without falling off (which for a novice like me is essential) and doesn't go off too quickly so you can brush it smooth.  It comes in various colours so that you can always be sure of an even colour.

If you know about it already forgive me but I had to tell you as it has turned a rotten job into one that has been bearable.

Weedon(53)

Lafarge also make a similar product called Parex Monodecor comes in a variety of colours .Mix in a bucket with water use a whisk (the ones you use for mixing plaster)

As it is always the same colour you can do as much or as little as you want at a time I recomend no more than 3 square meters a day as you have to wait till it goes off a bit then use a wire brush or scrubbing brush to remove the excess

[quote]Weedon, Thanks for the info - one last question how do you mix this product? I was about to go out and buy a cement mixer for pointing (acres of it to do) but if this stuff doesn't need a mixer yo...[/quote]

As BAF says, you mix up as much or as little as you want in a bucket with a plasterers whisk.  I mix up about half a builders bucket at a time which enables me to work for about one and a bit hours and I work it in the gaps using a rounded ended trowel and a hawk and then I brush it smooth with a soft hand brush as I go. If the stuff dries out a bit at the bottom of the bucket just splash a bit of water in and mix it again, you don't need much water.  I found you strike a balance between not too wet and not too dry and it really is great.

I did one wall using lime and sand and made a real pigs ear of it, so much so that I was reluctant to start again with the other walls but after finding this stuff I am so happy that I might give up bashing my mole hills with a spade.

If you find this stuff is as good as I say it is I'll give you my address so that you can send me a bit of the money you save on the cement mixer.

Weedon(53)

[quote]As BAF says, you mix up as much or as little as you want in a bucket with a plasterers whisk. I mix up about half a builders bucket at a time which enables me to work for about one and a bit hours an...[/quote]

TROWEL!!!!!!

Gawd i'm still shoving it in by hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its amazing how 20kg can disappear into one small hole!!!

[quote]TROWEL!!!!!! Gawd i'm still shoving it in by hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its amazing how 20kg can disappear into one small hole!!![/quote]

I know what you mean about shovelling it in and I appreciate your humour (its what keeps you going isn't it) but for those that imagine it is neccesary to fill the large holes with the expensive product I think its best to fill all the big holes with sand and cement and then finish all over with the pointing stuff otherwise it could work out even more expensive.

Weedon(53)