HI ALL,

I HOPE THIS IS THE RIGHT FORUM for this question.

I am looking for an electric fire that looks like a woodburning stove, no I have not lost my marbles, but I have a fireplace without a chimney and would love to give the impression of having a woodburner, I seem to remember seeing something like this in a D.I.Y. shop a couple of years ago, but I haven't been able to find one in this region ( I moved to dept. 24 last year.)

It looks like a woodburner black and cast iron, but the logs are not real and have electric bulbs in a bit like the old fashioned English electric fires.only not as kittschy and at the bottom is a sort of convector throwing out heat a bit like a fan heater.:

I know it sounds a bit wierd but the one I saw looked quite good and it saves a hell of a lot of hard work cutting up wood and less smoke and dust..

If anyone has seen one or knows who makes them I would be grateful

Ann

I saw them in Mr Bricolage (in Avranches - 50) last week. I also bought one in the UK for my parents - who're in their 80s and way past hauling in wood or coal. They're exactly as you describe - black painted wood (or plastic) body with glass (or perspex) panelled doors and the 'logs' or 'coals' are lit from below and appear to flicker. There's a 2 or 3 speed convector fan mounted underneath. I think they'd only be effective as a supplementary heat source - my parents have storage radiators as main heating. They can be surprisingly effective visually especially as the focal point of a small room but before you buy, make sure you see it switched on and check how loud the motor is that drives the flame flicker effect. One model I looked at was quite loud and intrusive.

You can get cast iron versions too but they are substantially more expensive - £400+ in the UK - which seems a bit high for what they are.

BTW, as promised I did have some thoughts about your advertising so I'll email you either later today or tomorrow.

Carole

We have one that is genuine cast iron and looks like an old style Godin woodburner, but,  I am afraid we bought it in England    I think I have seen the sort of thing you mean in France,  most likely outlets are Leroy Merlin or Mr Bricolage.  The season for displaying heaters of all types in the shops is just starting so you may catch some new arrivals.

Liz (29)

Carole, you just got in before me, you're right about the expense of the cast iron ones, but very attractive.

[quote]HI ALL, I HOPE THIS IS THE RIGHT FORUM for this question. I am looking for an electric fire that looks like a woodburning stove, no I have not lost my marbles, but I have a fireplace without a ch...[/quote]

I had an ad in the junk mail which gives on the return post card this address for electric cheminees .Centre d'Information,Chauffages Electriques Wibo,93609 AULNAY S/BOIS CEDEX.It might be what you are looking for .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies, thanks to my question one of the forum members contacted me and I have purchased a' pretend woodburner' from her, it is brilliant, just what I was looking for.

I would recommend them to give focus and atmosphere if you already have central heating, the flame effect is excellent, everyone that comes in thinks it is real.

Thanks again everyone for your help, the forum definitely works for me.

Ann