Laying ceramic tiles with wiggly edges!

Countrygirl

Help, I was very pleased with my new ceramic floor tiles with nice rustic looking wiggly edges, but just how do I lay them properly? 

I have a long straight edge to set the tiles against, but I don't know what to use to keep the space between the tiles equal as normal tile spacers won't work.  Do I need to get a very large right-angle thingy, or perhaps buy long strips of very thin wood and cut up!?  What do the professionals do? 

Thanks in anticipation,

Rita

What size are your tiles?

Provided they are quite large, you would probably need spacing of around 8-10mm.

The pros lay them to a tightly stretched line like the bricklayers use.

Lay the tiles with the high spot on the wiggle just not quite touching the line, or you will get a bend in it.

You must start and stay square. Start from a square in the middle, marked on the floor.

Remember your Pythagoras? 5x4x3 triangle in any measurement is always a perfect rt. angle.

You'll need a straightedge or spirit level across the faces.

Happy laying!

The other advice holds good, but I detect that you are wary of not using spacers. Tilers would not use these but lay them by eye.

I am no expert, but I would lay each line against a straight edge such as a straight piece of timber so that each line of tiles was parallel. The spaces will differ according to the 'waviness' of the edge but that is part of the attraction of rustic tiles.

When you get to the next row, but the tiles against the straight edge which you will have moved to its new location (not against the previous row of tiles) and avoid touching the previous row so that you do not disturb them.

Once you grout them in they will look fine.

Hope this helps.

By the way, if the tiles are as hard as the ones I recently laid, it will definitely be worth investing in an electric tile cutter (which I did not and have the blisters to prove it!)

Andy