Open Fireplaces

Babnik

We have 2 very large, ornate and I think beautiful open fireplaces in our Charentaise. My wife thinks we should leave them as they are and use them as is. I think that they're going to be very inefficient, and you're going to lose a lot of heat upwards. You can actually get in the fireplace and see the sky they're so big. Anyone got any ideas? Previous owner had a woodburning stove in one of them, but it looked out of place to me! (btw this will NOT be the only source of heat, more ornamental really!!)

Steve

If you have other heating (pos. C.H.?) then maybe you only need to light the fire occasionally. Perhaps there is some way of temporarily blocking the chimney when not in use to exclude the draught.

If you are passing near Pons (17) then do call at "Mercier" on the outskirts. They have some lovely stoves and fireplaces and I am sure they would advise.

Gill

[quote]There definitely will be CH, so it's not going to be the only source of heat....my only worry is that it's basically a great big hole for heat to get out (Chimney). I'm not sure what would happen when...[/quote]

Steve

I have found a website address which might be worth a look www.chimneyballoon.com

The chimney could (should?) have a little sort of cap fitted above it and this would prevent rain coming in.

If you want tolook at some lovely stoves, go to www.thorstoves.com

Gill

p.s. I have sent you a message

[quote]There definitely will be CH, so it's not going to be the only source of heat....my only worry is that it's basically a great big hole for heat to get out (Chimney). I'm not sure what would happen when...[/quote]

When you heat the room Miss Warmair will leave through the chimney, only to be replaced by Mr Draught and the Chilly Breezes. When it rains the rain will come down the chimney, along with soot, tar, bird droppings and dropping birds. It may look wonderful, but sophisticated it ain't.

When we had a straight-up chimney we had to sweep up in front of it every morning, not to mention the fallout from the fire...

I have a large open fire and after much umming and arghhing I decided against a woodburning stove mainly for asthetic reasons. I had "une plaque de chiminee interieur" and "un chapeau de chiminee" fitted. The first is a flat piece of metal fitted inside the chimney which can be opened and closed by use of springs and a chain. The second is a concrete slab supported on 4 legs that sits on top of the chimney stopping the rain coming in. Both work well and when the fire isn't in use stop the draughts brilliantly.

Jac