Slating a roof

Peterh

I've got a few questions on this subject and any comments would be welcomed:-

1. Can anyone recommend a book that deals with the techniques involved in reslating a roof using crochets? One written in English would be preferred but that may be asking too much. When I looked in French DIY books they did not seem to deal with roofing. I am particularly concerned with spacing of battens, dealing with the ends and sides of the roof, joining up with other areas of roof and the point raised at 2. below.

2. I have just fitted a roof window in part of our roof covered with rectangular slates (as opposed to the diamond shaped ones) and had difficulty fixing the bottom row of slates at the top of the window because of the depth of the flashing.  I did this by making extra long crochets but I suspect that there is a much easier way that I am missing. Can anyone explain the technique for doing this?

3. What is the relative cost of slate and fibro ciment "slates" and how do they compare in quality and longevity?

Thanks

Peter

have done a few slate roofs myself but what do you mean by crochets??? will try to help. answer to 3 will answer 2 when you tell me what crochets are.fibro ciment "slates" curl up at the edges with exposure and they are fitted with a clip not unlike the diagonal normandy type clip but virticle if you fit a good slate roof properly with good felt and tanalized timber your grandson might have to replace it. If you use say fibro cement slate you will have to

you lay the first row of slate the bottom row length ways on a battern I normally make this battern thinner by the thickness of the slate and stagger the joints .the next battern is directly above this one and the slate is then carried on up chalk line up for a good finnish. it`s hard to explain but hope you have got it!!!!

Hi there

We had our roof reslated by a French roofer. After some rough calculations the saving on TVA on materials meant that the whole job cost only an extra 350 euros than if I did the job myself. It took them 8 days,did a superb job and cleaned up after themselves. Goodness knows how long it would have taken me to do it,thats if I could avoid falling off the roof !

Best wishes with your work,rather you than me !

John & Sue (50)