Radiators from UK

Guillaumy

I know that this general subject has been covered before, but just wanted to be sure.

There is a good offer on at B&Q at the moment for bathroom towel radiators. They are 600 x 750, chrome finish and 1000btu at £67 each, bought without valves and connectors. I think, from what I’ve seen, that’s a good buy.

But, would they be compatible with French valves and connectors?

Don’t want to spend the money if they won’t fit.

Any help appreciated.

I Brought all my radiators from the UK together with plumbing from a wholesaler. My CH system is run by woodburner and is a UK system.with separate header tank and therefore NOT under mains pressure. Piping is 22mm and 15 mm.

You might get away with using french 14 and 16mm piping by buying a cheap little drift from Mr Bricolage to swage out the french 14mm to fit 15mm piping. I use it to fit some of the many UK compression fitings which I have. The secret is to heat the end of the pipe to red and quench to soften it before swaging.

We got a proper French one from Bricomarché, in white, about 50cm wide x 135cm tall for, I think, 70-something euros which looked pretty good value. There were other sizes and finishes. I doubt whether that offer is still running, but there are bound to be similar ones around I would have thought.

"But, would they be compatible with French valves and connectors?"

I hope someone will correct me if wrong, but aren't the radiator tappings without valves screwed 1/2" or 3/4" and therefore compatible with French screwed fittings.  This would mean if the valves were bought in France they would have the correct size copper outlet too.

[quote]"But, would they be compatible with French valves and connectors?" I hope someone will correct me if wrong, but aren't the radiator tappings without valves screwed 1/2" or 3/4" and therefore compatib...[/quote]

Quite so. All radiators (UK & Fr) are built with BSP (imperial) fittings, so just buy French valves to fit French pipe sizes. Don't try to plumb with UK sizes, as the pipe is also different wall thickness (and it is unnecessary).