mail order DIY supplies

Yvonne

I seem to remember reading (some time ago) that there is a French equivalent to Screwfix? Does anybody know about them? Can anyone give me any info? Are screwfix up and running in France yet? I'm specifically looking for radiators...any other suggestions of good value suppliers would be helpful.

Thanks!

Yes I actually posted the Screwfix equivalent details here some time back. They do not AFAIK yet take orders online but you can order a catalogue from them and then order by phone or fax.

They are nowhere as good as screwfix in terms of product range but they are growing and each catalogue I receive gets thicker each time.

They used to only allow trade customers and artisans such as us to order but I now think they sell to the public as well, although the catalogue I have on my office desk does say " le catalogue des pros du batiment". The catalogue could easily be mistaken in design and layout as a screwfix one  but I think screwfix Uk are part of castrorama anyway.

The company is called DYNASTOCK and can be reached on 0825 351 361 or fax 0825 351 000

Paul

dynastock.fr takes you straight to Castorama; are the paper catalogue prices cheaper?

[quote]Yes Kingfisher own all of them yanwhatsit, Castorama, B&Q, and even the Brits favourite Bricodepot. So all those DiY bits bought in France are still doing something to help the UK economy.[/quote]

The profit may not end up back in the UK at all, depending on the dividend policy of the companies it may well stay where it is spent, in France.

The profit may not end up back in the UK at all, depending on the dividend policy of the companies it may well stay where it is spent, in France.

I was making the rash  assumption that when Kingfisher bought Castorama et al they were hoping to make a few bob for their shareholders back in the UK. However I do agree that Uk companies often make such a hash of their foreign purchases that it often all ends rather sadly.

Hi,

just to clarify Kingfisher (the Uk plc who own B&Q) have 3 French businesses, my thoughts having used each are:

• Castorama (store & internet based) - similar to B&Q in pricing and stock,

• BricoDepot (only store based) - at least one in every French region, very cheap - have a very useful massive catalogue so you can decide what you want before visiting ... and about 6 times a year have a mini catalogue of special deliveries "arrivages" at normally excellent prices.  BTW their radiator prices are very good.

• Dynastock who have been set up to be the French version of Screwfix.  I've ordered off them twice, only phone, post or fax though.  Their phone number for a catalogue (maybe 1/3 Screwfix size, but they are only starting) is from France 0825 351 361.  Be aware they get very busy so you may have to try a few times.  Their prices are good, delivery is free over 149Eu then 6,95Eu or 9,95Eu depending on order size.  Also note that to order by post or fax you have to calculate the TVA etc.  Speaking to the operator, whilst placing an order - he knew of Screwfix Uk, which they are modelled on and also unfortunately said they had no-plans for internet trading at present.

Hope that helps with your query, I'm also not saying I'm 100% correct - these are my findings & experiences!

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
I recently ordered a stack of materials from Screwfix which they delivered to me in the Dordogne within a week for a 10 pound charge. The weight of the materials must have been about 50 kg!

Wow, that's good news ...... is this something new that Screwfix are now doing?  We've tried numerous times to get them to deliver to us here in the Aude but they say they just don't do it!  Quite happy to pay a reasonable delivery charge - and £10 for 50kg seems reasonable to me - just to get things not readily available here.  Did you order online or do you have to 'phone?

Hi Charlie

That does seem like they may have had a change of heart re delivering into Europe.  Have just sent them an email to check it all out - could make our lives a lot easier if this is indeed the case.  My husband has felt as if his left arm has been cut off since moving over to France and not having Screwfix at his beck and call!  Will let you know when I hear back from them........

Fiona

Have just had a reply from Screwfix re delivery to Europe - apparently they don't and they are not going to!!  How did your order 'slip through the net' Charlie?  Must be a one off or something?!  Oh well, never mind - when in France and all that.

Fiona