Rewire - Cert of Conformity

Penny29

Hi,

The re-wire of our house is almost complete  - can anyone tell me if it is obligatory for us to have an inspection & get a Cert of Conformity from EDF or are these only required for structures which have not previously had proper wiring (e.g. Barn conversions/new builds)?

If required, who normally arranges this - the householder or the electrician?

Thanks

Penny

The re-wire of our house is almost complete  - can anyone tell me if it is obligatory for us to have an inspection & get a Cert of Conformity from EDF or are these only required for structures which have not previously had proper wiring (e.g. Barn conversions/new builds)?

Hi

The certificate (issued by the Consuel) is only required if the EDF ask for it.  It is often a condition before they will connect you to their supply or make alterations. Some insurance companies will also ask for one. There is of course nothing to stop you getting a certificate on a voluntary basis. Quite simply if the EDF have not asked for one, then it is not obligatory. If your wiring is suspect, it would however be a good idea to get a registered electrician to look over your installation to bring it up to a better standard.

If required, who normally arranges this - the householder or the electrician?

Either can do it.  We arrange Consuel inspections on a regular basis and although there is nothing to stop you doing it yourself, for one it will cost you more (electricians get a discount on the inspection fee), and secondly if your electrician is already known to the Consuel, they do not always send out an inspector and just validate the certificate.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I guess we don't need one then because we have had EDF involved at various stages of the re-wire (change of tariff, and they replaced the exterior EDF box with a new "encastré-d" version and then connected it to the new wiring) and during every vist to the local EDF offices we've told them about the re-wire etc and they haven't said anything about an inspection. The guy we used is a fully registered and qualified electrician so I don't feel the need to have an inspection if we are not obliged to. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.