English to French plumbing connections - URGENT

Penny29

I'm looking to find a source of a plumbing part called HEP 20 (or 2.0 or sumat like that)

We bought a mobile home to live in during house renovations - the caravan was made In the UK and has British plumbing. In the latest cold snap no less than 4 pipes have burst.

If worst comes to worst my plumber will convert the entire system to French piping but says this could be avoided if he can use a particular type of connection piece, this HEP thingie, which he remembers being discussed on this Forum ages ago (despite searches of the archives I've come up with zilch).

Can anyone remember the original thread or advise on a supplier of these parts (either UK with online ordering & delivery to France or supplier in SW France).

Thanks in advance

Hep 20 is the brand name for a particular range of plastic pipes in the UK made by a company called Hepworth (I think).

I've used them quite a lot for plumbing stuff in the UK as the connector parts are simply push fit, they are demountable so you can push in a little flange and pull the joint apart and when the joints are made you can rotate them (even if they are full of water). Great stuff and much less hassle than compression or solder joints. I guess your caravan has them as they are easy to push the pipes through awkward spaces.

As far as I know the pipes are available in standard UK sizes - i.e. 10mm, 15mm and 22mm. French plumbing is of course different (14mm, 16mm, etc) ! I think there are converters to join from UK to French pipes and since Hep2O will take any standard compression joint (as long as you put in a HEP2O metal pipe sleeve in first) this'd be the way to join the two different pipe gauges together.

Geoffrey

Hep20 is also available in 15mm and also in French 16mm,22mm sizes from a Uk supplier in France. he advertises in the French property news I think it is " Real heating." They actually do a 15 to 16mm fitting.

Many French caravans are plumbed using 15mm pipework, so a local caravan dealer may have the parts you need.

We work on houses previously owned by Brits which have 15mm plumbing so often adapt from 15mm to French sizes. There are several ways to do this so any plumber worth his salt should be able to do this for you.

regards,

Paul

Hi,

Thank you all for responding so quickly to my question - I really am very grateful (esp thanks to St Lo for such a generous offer).

I have been in touch with the guy from Real Heating in Riberac - he is a really helpful guy & stocks all the parts we need.