Stain blocking undercoat for crepi

Jackie

Following on from my earlier post about interior crepi sticking to emulsioned ply, which it appears to do, I have another query which some kind soul maybe able to answer.

The oils in the ply seem to be coming through the emulsion and the crepi and staining the surface a light yellow in places. Sadly the crepi is white, any other colour the stain would not be seen I think. Before anyone suggests it I cannot change the colour now as it has to match the rest of the room.

I assume what I want is a stain blocker to paint on before applying anymore crepi. Can anyone recommend what I should look for on the Bricomarche, Castorama or E. Leclerc Brico, Bati, Jardi shelves. Would a crepi sous-couche do the job or do I need to ask for something special? Much obliged in advance for any response.  John not Jackie

Hi John,

give the stained area a coat of oil based paint, either u/c or gloss. This will seal over the stain, & you can emulsion over it when dry. Sous couche or anything water based will not work, as the stain will come through again.

cheers, Richard.

Hi again,

sorry, did not read your post properly, & now note you want to re-crepi, in this case don't use gloss because it may not stick without a sanding down, which break the sealing. U/C should be fine as long as it's oil based.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I went to E. Leclerc today and they suggested IMPRESSION UNIVERSELLE which I will try tomorrow. It seems to be a general purpose undercoat and is, I assume, oil based as brushes have to be washed out in white spirit. Many thanks again.................John 

I don't know if this is of any help but when we had a few problems, we used a British Company called Thompsons or Thomsons Water Seal. They have quite a few products in this range and we were in the UK and brought some over. They have an sealant for walls, a sealant for painting over and quite a few other bits and pieces, It does seem to have done quite a good job on our walls. If you are in France you might find something on the internet. Hope this helps. Keni

Thanks for the info Keni but I have got the IMPRESSION UNIVERSELLE on the wall now so time will tell if it is any good. It is certainly quite thick and covers well. I will put the crepi on it tomorrow..................John