Quote for Plastering the Attic

Guillaumy

Hi,

A follow-up question from my last post on signing the devis. Just checking through the prices to see what we need to have done and what we can cut out.

The plasterer has quoted for insulating and plastering the attic sloping roof. The area is 174 sqM, which is correct.

He is charging:

6,900 euros for the Airflex, supplied and fixed.

9,200 euros for the plasterboard, supplied, fixed using metal rails and joints finished.

Is this about right? Seems quite a lot.

Thanks

Robert

Is this a French builder?

Does this include the actual plastering as well??

My hubby is a builder here in France and if you've had no other replies, when he gets back from work I'll get him to have a look at your post and see what he thinks.

"Hubby is home and says it seems expensive he is a plasterer by trade (last 20 years) and it could deffinately be done for a fair bit less including a plastered finish if you prefer."

You cannot possibly comment that a devis is expensive without knowing the requirements for the work.

On the face of it the cost for the Airflex insulation is high as is the plasterboarding.

But with any loft/attic conversion there are other factors involved in producing the devis:

Vehicle access for the delivery of plasterboard and insulation from the builders merchants.

Dry storage for the plasterboard and an area to cut panels and insulation to size before fitting.

Getting full size panels into the loft space - in many old French properties this is impossible.

The amount of work involved cutting full panels to size with associated wastage.

As Di has commented, plastering is a complete waste of time over new plasterboard and have never encountered anyone who has asked for it - if you want a quick to finish suface then use Pregydeco.

Every job is different and you cannot quote a flat m2 rate to cover every job.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

I agree with BobC. W'eve been doing this sort of work for seven years in France and each job is priced on it's merits. Old lofts have difficult and uneven structures and the jointing, filling and sanding of joints can be very time consuming. I would question the use of Airflex at this price. Aiflex is basically bubble wrap sandwhiched between foil layers, with a thin foam inner. We use a different and far more superior product called Triso - Super 9 which is in a different class, it has 14 composite layers and will give the same insulatiion value as 20 cm of laine de verre, Airflex won't.

Acesss, as already mentioned can also affect cost. Your job will require around 60 sheets (standard size) of plasterboard, which have to be delivered, manhandled, and installed. Plastering over plasterboard in this type of situation is uncommon in France, and seems to be an "English" thing. Plastering in France is usually reserved for covering clay blocks, siporex or other blockwork.

Paul

Thanks all for your comments.

Bob

“Vehicle access for the delivery of plasterboard and insulation from the builders merchants”

The access is good, no problem.

“Dry storage for the plasterboard and an area to cut panels and insulation to size before fitting”

The house isn’t lived in at the moment, so there is plenty of space downstairs as well as on the first floor.

“Getting full size panels into the loft space - in many old French properties this is impossible”

This I was expecting to pay for. The stairs are good and the bend gradual, but I do appreciate the “grunt” to carry the plasterboard up to the attic.

“The amount of work involved cutting full panels to size with associated wastage”

This, again, I accept and appreciate.

Paul

“Old lofts have difficult and uneven structures and the jointing, filling and sanding of joints can be very time consuming”

It is quite an old house, around 1750, so yes, the joists are uneven.

“We use a different and far more superior product called Triso - Super 9 which is in a different class, it has 14 composite layers and will give the same insulation value as 20 cm of laine de verre, Airflex won't”

I did a search on the Triso-Super 9 and found this (link below) - may need a complete re-think on the sort of insulation we have because what they claim for Triso-Super 9 are exaggerated!!

http://www.celotex.co.uk/pdf/TechBul004-05.pdf

We are FULLY prepared to pay a fair price for any of the work we need doing, but not "over the odds". I supose we must just bite the bullet.

Thanks again,

Robert

Hubby was not trying to quote nor would he without first inspecting the job himself.  It was just a comment based the material costs of a similar sized job he carried out recently.  Everyones labour costs are different also.

If plastering seems to be an 'english thing' surely it is not that unusual to find that many english clients and Dutch still request it?

What you have to bear in mind is the labour cost - obviously!

The current 'guideline' labour price from the Chambre de Metiers for a job like this is about 36€ an hour .. I'm not sure how long your attic will take taking into account joists etc.  Please don't forget that in France the cotisations etc mean that the builder 'sees' about 30-35c per euro he bills for!!!

I would question the use of Airflex at this price. Aiflex is basically bubble wrap sandwhiched between foil layers, with a thin foam inner. We use a different and far more superior product called Triso - Super 9 which is in a different class, it has 14 composite layers and will give the same insulatiion value as 20 cm of laine de verre, Airflex won't.

I might be wrong (but then again that is not unusual) but I thought both products were made by the same company. If you are trying to insulate a roof area and actually see some beams - then according to our architects - both French and English there is not really an alternative. This type of product was developed for use in the space shuttles for heat protection on re-entry. We did a lot of research on this before using one of the above products and since we have used them the heat retention is noticable.

[quote]I would question the use of Airflex at this price. Aiflex is basically bubble wrap sandwhiched between foil layers, with a thin foam inner. We use a different and far more superior product called Tris...[/quote]

Hi Di,

I've no idea if both products are made by the same company but I do know that if you actually obtain samples of both products and put them side by side, then you will see what I was trying to illustrate in my previous post. You pay for what you get like most products.

One other benefit of these products as well as being able to expose more beams when plasterboarding, is that due to their refelective nature they actually help to keep loft areas cooler in the summer as opposed to traditional mineral insulations.

Paul

I am quite bemused by the paperwork on the foil backed insulation - you are not allowed to take into consideration the air spaces and their insulating qualities but both products insist on these air spaces. Does this mean that 8 inches of fibreglass has to be compressed to its smallest size and then tested - I bet all the air trapped in the fibreglass is included in its insulating powers.

We find foil backed works well and yes we also chose it for its insulating properties in the summer. The two products are different but the layers work in different ways - there is also another product (French again) that the previous owner used on a small area and we find this works really well around our compost bin - me, I never waste a thing .

We may differ on our views of which product to use but agree that this type of product is ideal for roof areas where the beams are to be exposed. Our carpenter used fibre insulation on his roof area and now wishes he had done it our way. It is also possible for one person to do a huge roof area on their own - without wearing protective clothing - another plus.

I never ever imagined that I would get this knowledgeable about insulation - others may disagree that I am not at all knowledgeable - but hey, I sit at lunch each day with professionals and if they eat my food I will listen to their conversation and help where I can.