Woodstain over stripped paint

George

Does anyone have any suggestions for woodstain on stripped white painted windows. ie any particular make such as Sadolin more sucessful than another.

Have previously had reasonable success with Ranch stain in UK, but not sure this is still available.

Would like to keep the existing peeling painted windows, strip them in situ with a hot air gun, then use a dark woodstain over the top. Guess the putty will be a problem to cover adequately. Then eventually replace the plastic shutters with new wood ones, trying to match as near as possible the colour of the window frames.

I used V33 Lassure (“Aquistop”) over stripped paint (and I also over the window putty). The only place it has come off so far is actually some new wood that was very smooth and non-abosrbant. However, it was only painted last year so I would not have expected problems as yet.

One other thing. If the existing paint is old – it may contain lead. When you purchased you should have had a lead report. Either way, unless you know it has not got lead (and that there is no lead paint under the white etc. – 110% sure), then do take precautions.

Many thanks for that will look that one up - think the existing paint is relatively new, but peeling quite badly in some places, which will help us and appears to be nothing underneath.  Can't wait to give it a try when we get back over.

Hi George,

Have you tried the www.axminster.co.uk for Axminster Power Tools. Or you could phone them on 0800 371 822 . I have used them for years now and they are very good with advice. I was after a tool to do a job, but not sure which. They advised  a different tool that was much cheaper and easier to use. They do a very good range of wood finishes. Get them to send you a catalogue... It's great.

If you look at the site it quotes a tech phone number, but when I was in the U.K. I always phoned the freephone and asked for tech advise. I still get kit sent over to here!

Good Luck,

John.