SURVEY BY SCREWFIX DIRECT

Clair

I recently contacted Screwfix Direct to ask them (again) about deliveries to France. They gave me the usual answer but I received the following email today and I am putting the link below so everyone can have an input...

Dear Customer

You have previously expressed an interest in placing an order with Screwfix Direct for delivery outside of the UK.

Screwfix Direct are in the process of considering whether an export service would be viable and would be grateful if you could complete the attached questionnaire about the types of orders you would place and where you would like them delivered. This should only take a couple of minutes of your time and will help us develop an export service that is right for you.

Please click here to complete the survey. 

http://ecustomeropinions.com/popup/survey.php?sid=517871034&data=2010

(if the link above is not clickable, please Copy and Paste it into the Location or Address bar of your web browser)

Any information you enter will be covered by our privacy policy and will only be used for research purposes only.

Thank you for your time and co-operation.

Your sincerely

Samantha Grimes
Transport Controller

Let them know that you need them!

Clair

This real progress Clair. Well done. I usually plan my orders before we leave for France but, being human, there are many items that are forgotten. It would be so convenient to have goods delivered in France.

I have completed the questionnaire.

Alistair

They seem to be sending the questionnaire to anyone who has enquired about deliveries to France, but that doesn't stop anyone else who might benefit from filling it in. It only takes a couple of minutes and comes with good security guarantees.

As Screwfix is part of the same group (Kingfisher) as Castorama and Brico Depot I would have expected the company to have rather better provisions for delivery to French customers, but I've done the survey anyway.

As I go to England so frequently it probably isn't too relevant for me, but any encouragement for a company with such strong links with France to operate in France (particularly as the French market is currently doing rather better for Kingfisher than the British) must be welcome.

Previously Kingfisher weren't all that bothered about delivering accross the channel BECAUSE they already had Brico Depot and Castorama.

However, it now looks like the UK side of Kingfisher is being taken over by Home Depot (American) with the French operation sold off elsewhere. As B&Q/Screwfix then won't have an outlet for their stuff in France it's no wonder that now they're investigating other possibilities

Don't hold your breath though, if the takeover dosn't materialise I can see it all going straight back to square one.

I've posted about this before;

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=285&messageid=100960#bm101128

I've been using France's Screwfix equivalent "Dynastock" for quite some time now. I have a copy of their catalogue on my desk here. Even though they have a long way to go before their product range equates to what Screwfix offer, each time a new catalogue comes out it is slightly thicker, and has more product ranges, so I expect them to grow. The catalogue is very similar in layout and format to the UK version, as would be expected because they are part of Kingfisher.

Only downside maybe is that cuurently, ordering has to be done by fax, or phone. I phone my orders (good for practising the language)  and have no problem with that, and the last time I spoke to tele-sales the young lady said she would expect internet ordering to be available in the future.

Paul

I can't say Dynastock/Castorama are anything like Screwfix. I can't get a response from either of them. Screwfix are not as good as they were before Kingfisher cocked everything up. But still better than most others.

IMHO:

Bricodepot: Cheap tat sold in fully randomised surroundings staffed by the woefully inept. No idea about stock-outs. Website: what website?

Castorama: Slightly better kit, slightly better surroundings, slightly brighter staff. Website: there is one, but don't bother to "Contact them" with a query. They won't reply. Ever.

B and Q: see Castorama, but add 10-20% to prices. And add pseudo-rude to the staff comment.

I don't know the last time you ordered anything from Dynastock or spoke to anyone but the company have gone bust.  I spoke to someone back in January to order something and was told the company have ceased trading.