Rental Prices

Pancake

Hi all

We are thinking of moving from Australia to France,possibly Burgundy.Our idea was to come over for a year and rent while looking but all I see on the net are rents of about 300 euros that pans out at about 500 Australian dollars a week.When we get there we will be on a pension of about 400 au dollars a week.Is 300 euros about average.There must be cheaper ones about ???

I'm sure there are Pancake.  It depends how big a property you want and in which area you're looking.  Around here in Normandy a 2 bed house is around 300 euros a MONTH.  The prices you're quoting sound more like low season holiday rentals.  Even then, we rented a gite de France place in Beaujolais last year for 190 euros for a week at the end of May, so 300 euros sounds pretty high.

[quote user="Pancake"]Thanks for the reply guys that sound a lot more reasonable.....not only that,Beaujolais is my bestest, favourite,loveable wine of all time.... [B][/quote]

Well then, if you can find nothing else, have a look at the place we stayed in Fleurie.  It's fairly basic, but clean.  It had a twin room and a double, a shower room and loo, a living room with kitchen corner (3 piece suite was actually b***y uncomfortable but we were outside most of the time).  I don't think this would be suitable long-term, but it may be a starting point.  AND....... the owner owns the Chateau next door where they produce some extremely nice Fleurie!

http://chateau-du-bourg.com/gite.htm

[quote user="Pancake"]Thanks for the reply guys that sound a lot more

reasonable.....not only that,Beaujolais is my bestest,

favourite,loveable wine of all time.... [B][/quote]

The bestest is definitely the 1995 Beaujolais Nouveau, scrumptious..........................another glass Rodders [B]

A nice 2005 Bordeaux? St Emillion? No? Suit yourselves!

The guy's moving to flippin' Burgundy -- you can't beat a bitta burundy now lad...

Cabrol in the Aude, traditional and great. Hand picked (I've picked a few... shudder), great and strong rosé - which normally I can't stand. Brilliant reds. In the hachet guide and all that but doesn't advertise or sell in shops.

You have to come over and dig around for a decent rental price mate, unless you are moving to a very sought after location the price you have quoted is sky high.

€1200/month definitely v. expensive outside of the big cities. (When we were looking, the most expensive we saw and considered - fabulous places - were €1800/month in Albi & €1700-2400/month in the centre of Toulouse - on the Garonne)

€900/month in the country is "expensive" and will get you something way, way above average.

Very roughly, rental costs here are about half the cost in UK (sorry, dunno about Oz).

hi ow ya goin cobbers

i am an aussie from sydney i think on the

aussie pension you will be doing well , i was

offered houses at 250 euros per month in the countryside of france and also in southern spain around almeria, im on a pension now too just,

regards

george

sunny1770 (George)

Thanks for that info.Its sounding better and better by the minute.We will be coming from Perth.What area are you in.Did you have any problems with getting to live there permnantly.Do you also have duel passports....I have got a hundred and one questions to ask so I might email you some time if thats ok..[:)]

Pancake

I guess  you've already looked at French News small ads (online http://french-news.com) but you might try posting a wanted ad with them.

Are you looking for long or short term let? A winter let  in the rural Midi-Pyrennees region of SW France might be about 500 or 600 euros per month but that would likely exclude any heating gas, fuel oil or firewood.

[quote user="Jupiter"]Pancake

I guess  you've already looked at French News small ads (online http://french-news.com) but you might try posting a wanted ad with them.

Are you looking for long or short term let? A winter let  in the rural Midi-Pyrennees region of SW France might be about 500 or 600 euros per month but that would likely exclude any heating gas, fuel oil or firewood.
[/quote]

We will be over for holidays in March for a month and have a look see.We then plan to come back later and and stay for a year and see how we get on with it before selling up.I did look at french news but my french is far from upto scratch yet to understand it.[:)]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Generally long term lets, ie one to three years are very difficult as they require lots of paperwork, proof of earnings, taxes paid etc. bank statements and if you are up against a french person who is interested  you have very little chance. We were lucky as my husband had a french work contract, but the company had to provide a certificate confirming his contract. We know of others here who took a year to find somewhere as most rentals companies just could not help, and they were living here in a short term let at the time!  You are best looking at holiday homes that are offering long term lets.   But no two areas are the same here in France!  Good Luck

Lollie