Danish Oil

Buntina

We have used Danish Oil on our wooden floors in the UK for many years.  You apply it with a rag and literally wipe it straight into the bare boards.  Not only does it prevent grease stains marking the floor, as Mike has said, but also it hardens the top layer, making the wood more resistent to dents.  It's fantastic stuff, imho, giving the wood a lovely natural finish, bringing out the natural patina of the wood.  And, if you do have a dent you can use a steam iron over it to gently steam the dent out like magic (it really does work!).  It should be reapplied periodically (having said that I haven't re-done my living room floor for several years :rolleyes).

Sorry, don't know what it's called in France or where to get it from. 

Sue

Hi..I have used it on just about every type of wood... work tops the lot...

works great as previously said... They do have it in france in many brico's

Look for the word scandinavia as apposed to danish.... oil of scandinavia normally with wood stains etc..

I know I am married to a dane...

phil

This is marvellous stuff and we have used it on our oak floors in the U.K and on our old beams in France.  We brought ours over from U.K, costs approx £30 for a 5 litre drum.  We couldn't see it for sale in France

Pat

Hi

I'm pretty sure I know the sort of stuff you are talking about. And I wish I could buy it in France.

We brought a large tin of it down from Sweden 6 years ago. Swedish visitors asking "is there anything we can bring ?" brought more. I think they hoped we would say pickled herrings or the dreaded surstromming.

We use it on the wooden outdoor furniture. The oil goes a long way, and I only finished the original tin in 2003. Last year I started on the new supplies, which were a slightly different mix (15% varnish : well that's the best I could understand from the Swedish on the tin !). Amazingly, it was even better. I haven't needed to use the oil this year, and the furniture looks fine.

Someone please track this down.

Peter

So is Tung Oil the same as Danish Oil? or are we again deep into the magic of a potion that is only known by some.

I am only interested in something we can buy to do our large finished oak floor. Shame I don't know any Swedes

Danish oil is up to 60% Tung oil.

As there is no such thing as a 'Danish nut' or 'Swede bush' it would follow that these are brands which are used to market a particular mix of ingredients.

Generally Danish oils are do not have enough Tung to be used on the floor unless your happy with the reapplication thing. (I think that I've said this before).

I'll research the outlets and post a link when I get a minute.

Andrew