EDF Visit

Aitch

I have arranged a visit from EDF in 2 weeks time to look at how I can get electricity to our house. (We currently have a small generator) Any help or advice as how best to deal with their inspection so that I can get the supply type I want, as well as the siting of any posts (we are about 400metres from the nearest take-off point)? How amenable are they to requests for the position/ installation? I am also expecting some high prices but has anybody got any ball park figures/ length of time to completion etc? I have an electrician organised as I realise that it is more of a joint effort to get the installation completed but background info would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Aitch

EdF normally only undertake the work to the edge of your property, where they will locate the meter. The work from the meter to the property is usully down to you. It is also cheaper to get that bit of duct laying done yourself!

[quote]I have arranged a visit from EDF in 2 weeks time to look at how I can get electricity to our house. (We currently have a small generator) Any help or advice as how best to deal with their inspection s...[/quote]

We had to have power supplied to our property which was done by EDF but they would give us no advice on what size power supply cable to lay from the meter to the house, a distance of 130m. Any info.would be helpful

• 3 weeks later...
Just got back after 5 days at the house and the EDF gentleman turned up at the appointed time. Pleasant and helpful chap but with a sharp intake of breath tells me that it is not his department which would connect us, but that of the EDF-Rural @ Argenton. No, I didn't swear or lose my temper but having sent all the details and copies of the Plan Cadastral to Chateauroux before they would arrange the meeting, it did make me feel a little disgruntled at a supposedly waste of time for all concerned. Has anyone had experience like this or dealt with EDF-Rural? As the property has never had electricity, we are not on their database, are there any grants available for properties to be connected, the Mairie thinks not, or am i hoping for too much? I thought that there was new legislation in force for all properties to be connected. Anyone any ideas? Many thanks,Aitch

EDF? Don't start me on EDF.

I've had some pretty poor experiences with them, such as:

Phoning for someone to visit the property, to be told that the appointment I wanted was too far in advance, (8 weeks), their computer couldn't cope.

Getting the guy on the other end to agree to make a note on the system, phoning closer to the time to be told no appointments left.

:dozehoning them from the UK 14 days before wanting an appointment to be told, once again, none left, I should phone earlier. When I mentioned the 8 week debacle, I was told that no such rule exists, their computer CAN cope with  that length of time.

Phoning to ask for a service upgrade, having to endure a 5 minute explanation as to WHY my system tripped out, despite me explaing theat I had a degree in Physics, so I understood, then being told no-one was available to do the job for 7 days as they were all on strike!

So far, I've not managed to actually SEE anyone from EDF, but they seem to turn up on time to read my meter, and my bills come often enough!

Alcazar

• 2 weeks later...

In response to Aitch's query, we checked the bill for the supply of power to our property. We were charged 1077 Euros for a 18Kva branchment individual.  This seems to be an awfully large power supply for a modest house.  Is it a 'typo'?  We will contact EDF but perhaps someone can throw some light on the subject. 

I have 18 and I like it. However, if I didn't have an old contract with very low standing charges, I would be looking into reducing the current that comes in to my house.

Have you looked at the EDF site. There are three options for us householders that are clearly shown. And they show the cost of the standing charges for each option and how much the electricity costs.

• 1 month later...

Guess what! Finally, had a reply to my letter, so EDF are now asking for just over 4000euros to put new posts, overhead cables (approx 450mts) etc. to the edge of my property. If I want it, I am going to have to pay it! However, they made no mention of the fact, as regards to what the supply rating will be, so I am hoping that they will have taken this into account with their estimate.  I have written to ask them what the rating will be, and when they can start, so it's probably another month before a reply. What happens if they haven't?

They aslo mention that I need to get another estimate from EDF(?), for the connection to the property but I was under the impression that my electrician would take care of this? Can anybody enlighten me if my understanding is wrong?

Thanks for the help

Aitch

Edf normally do all the wiring from the board & meter  inside the house, to their box at the edge of your property, though you provide the duct through which the cables pass.

Depending on the distance of the property from the house to the point where the overhead cables end you may need to allow another 1000 euros.