Furry wall monster

griffs

Anybody know of any treatments for preventing the saltpeter oozing out of walls. So far the only thing for it appears to be boarding over it. I welcome any other long term prevention methods out there that does not require covering with wood or plasterboard. Anybody know of any chemical treatments.

[quote]It is not saltpetre that ouzoes out of walls it is salts desolved by water which has bleed into the walls . Scrape the front garden , live in the house a year and the walls will spot effuresing[/quote]

Maybe I've had one glass too many

The only way is top stop the walls sucking water up or improve the ventilation on the wall.

Save that these days if were are it in bed by 22:30 I cannot do 14 hours concrete laying I would invite you round to have a look.

You must cure what is causing the damp rather than trying to block the symptonms

Hi, we have had quite a success with first of all using that Thompsons water seal product and then painting with a vinyl matt emulsion. The Thomson Water Seal also has a sister product for stains and that works well also.

Although we still suffer with a bit of crusting and fluffing, this is definitely disappearing now we are also living in the house more. The emulsion - vinyl silk was also great on the ceiling - we used the black & white dog product.

keni (female)

But what about those of us who can't be in the house all the time?  Our maison secondaire is suffering damp despite installation of a mechanical ventilator (which is on all the time), airing as often as possible and use of a dehumidifier.  We suspect a terrace may be causing the problem which runs the whole length of the house but don't want to resort to digging it up if we can help it.  It has been suggested that we drill some long holes in the side of the terrace in case water is collecting there but other than that we are desperate to sort this out to prevent more damage.