35kg Gas Bottles with a COMBI BOILER ??

joidevie

I was wondering if anyone had tried ( or is this in common use ) to use a combination boiller ( ELM / Bosch chaudiere murale mixte - butane version ) with 35kg gas bottles ?

I live in Aude and anticipate needing heating 6-8 weeks pa only and am slightly hesitant about commitiing myself to a 20€ per month charge for a relatively short ( but sharp ! ) winter. I will want to use hot water ALL year and will probably get an additional smaller bottle for cooking.

Most locals think I'm a bit mad going for the Gaz de Ville option - though perhaps they have never had the luxury before ...

I will have an additional "chiminee" for the entire ground floor ( kitchen & sitting room ) as well, so I'm really looking at heating 3 bedrooms upstairs ( all newly insulated ) Two bathrooms both with mainly showers. The place will have 12 months a year use, though more activity during the summer - ie less pressure on the heating.

Is this at all viable or do I just take the plunge with the GAZ standing charge. ( I say this as at some point I may only part ocuppy the house some of the year and don't want to feel too pressured by standing charges ) However, I want the house to be comfortable and resellable with "all mod cons"

Any ideas or experinces ?

Thanks

I'm not entirely clear, but what I will say is that gaz de ville is one of the cheapest forms of heating in France, far cheaper than electricity and fioul.  It will also work out cheaper than the gas bottles.

A lot of people are getting mixed messages in regard to heating.  The electricity option is cheap to install but once the charges arrive it isn't at all economic!

In terms of re-saleability; the house would benefit from gaz de ville!

Agree with the comments above.

I would be influenced by a house having mains gas connected when deciding whether to buy. The standing charge of 20 Euros per month seems a small price to pay for such an improvement to your comfort and flexibility for heating and cooking. I would jump at the chance to have it connected.

The life of a 35kg bottle would be remarkably short if it was to provide heating for a typical house during the winter. Those of us who have cylinders may use 1000kg to 1500kg of gas per annum, equivalent to 30 to 45 large 35kg bottles. The cost is high even in bulk.

It is very reasonable to use these bottles for cooking and short term heating but surely not as a significant heating source.

Thanks.. and that's a lot of gas per year !!

I have to say that I think if many people gave the gaz de ville a try, they would love it.. And a lot of the local's talk is is probably more defiance than fact !

PS - Any recommendations for a COMBI BOILER ? They seem pretty pricey but I've found an ELM Leblanc ( part of the BOSCH Group ) for around €800 Model Acleis

Thanks