Leave electricity on or not?

We always leave our electricity on when we leave our property unoccupied. We run a dehumidifier, which has worked wonders on the damp/mould that used to appear during the 2-3 months that the house may be unoccupied during the winter. We used to empty and switch off our fridge but as the running costs are so low, we now leave that on as well. We only keep stuff like wine, beer and jam in it so that it really wouldn't be a disaster if the electricity tripped and didn't go on again until our return. Some friends of ours always switch their electricity off when they leave the property unoccupied as they worry about fire. What's the general feeling out there? Do you leave it on or switch it off? What are the real risks?

Nick

Has your house in the UK gone up in flames - because the electricity is always on there?

So why would an unoccupied house with the electric on but unoccupied be more prone to going up in flames?

I would continue to do what you ae doing and not wory about it.

Paul

It would be worth checking the conditions imposed by your house insurance. Also, the chance of fire caused by the elecrical supply depends a great deal on the condition of the system. Even a perfect system can be "modified" by furry animals.

I leave our supply connected because it is needed for the CH. In fact every service is left on. I hate the idea of leaving them on but it keeps the house and contents in good condition. My insurance insists that the temperature must be maintained at or above 15 degrees C.

Alistair

Wow   -you're all very lucky to be able to leave power on  - we'd love to be able to, but cannot. We leave our holiday home unoccupied for up to 6 weeks at a time, and our insurers are absolutely adamant that 'Owing to Power Surges on the Continent (!) all electricity, water, etc MUST be turned off at the mains.' I disputed this with them, saying that surely it would be better to leave it on and protect the house against burst pipes etc? They said no, and I said  - so, are you saying that if I leave on just the tiny little heater in the Utility room (next to, but not accessible from, the house) on its 'Hors Gele' setting (specifically fitted there for the purpose by previous owners!) and there is a 'Continental power surge(!)' and the place catches fire, we are not covered?'  'Yes, that's right. No cover.' I then said  - so, if the water tank bursts through freezing, amd floods the whole house (it's wooden) I am covered, yes?'  'Well, we can't of course confirm that!'

Thing is, we could only find this one company (SAGA) to insure it  - it is wood, and had a riverbank plus tall trees all around! 

Any ideas?

I have also shut down and drained the water and turned off the electricity as I was informed it was an insurance requirement. . I have not waded throuh the small print for the French house just acted on the brokers advice . I have left big deposits of salt  on mesh streatched over buckets and  bowls in the rooms in an effort to absorbe some of the damp.   It will drip through the mesh and you will get an inch of water in the bowl over the winter I expect . We have  used this method in Static Caravans  and  do in our tourer now.  We have just seen the result of a split washing machine rubber pipe ...it just split due to age and water pressure in the home of a friend while he was away from home . His bungalow was totally soaked right through after just a weekend of water from this pipe. His insurers covered him as he was not away for more than 30 days  ..His insurer ....as does my UK one ....demand water and electricity off ....or no cover if  left on and empty for more than 30 days.  I have a dehumidifier I took out this year....I have now decided it will be used when we next go out if needed.. it would be nice to leave the shutters open and let the sun in .....but thats an insurance no no as well.....  they  have to be locked .