Cost of re-roofing

Lynne & Simon

Hi

Can anyone give us a rough guide as to how much we should expect to pay by the m2 for re-roofing.  This would include materials (all the carpentry and the slates - there is no roof at all currently) and labour.

We think we have been given a sensible quote but would really appreciate the benefit of other people's experiences.

Many thanks

Lynne & Simon

[quote]Hi Can anyone give us a rough guide as to how much we should expect to pay by the m2 for re-roofing. This would include materials (all the carpentry and the slates - there is no roof at all currentl...[/quote]

Our quote was as follows:

To remove existing roof covering

To create complete new roof as per plans to include:

Terracota tiles, Stainless steel clips and zinc guttering and down pipes

Euros 15'725. (excluding TVA of 5.5 %).

Hope this helps.  

Without knowing sizes or specs, comparisons like my roof was half the cost of yours are all a bit pointless.

Lynne,from quotes I have recently had in the SW, rates may vary in other departments, if you are having all the charpente en bois (wooden structure) replaced in oak plus galvanised zinc guttering and down pipes,  you will be looking at anything from 32€ a square metre fitted for the ardoise, (slate or bitumen tiles), old lauzes are much dearer and terracotta are much  cheaper.  The oak structure and replacement hardwood boards would be around 100€ a square metre of roof but this is very subjective due to varying styles and methods of construction.  So that is about 132€ per square metre of roof excluding TVA.

For the guttering you should be looking at 30€ a metre for the guttering and fixing, including materials and the down pipe around 17€ a metre. 

If your quote is around that figure and you have a carpenter ready to start, nail his feet to the floor as they are as rare as hens teeth. You may find cheaper, but then I find that in France you get what you pay for.

[quote]So Ron according to my math 120 square meters would cost about 15'000 Euros? So our quote seems to be about right?[/quote]

Monika

I was quoting from Devis I  have for my house roof replacement and the unit prices where quoted.  So I am pleased that they are in line with your quote.  If the original poster compares our price per unit with theirs they will have a good idea about their quote.  I should add that my roof is being done by a roofer and a carpenter, not an all trades UK type builder.

To throw more confusion in...

The rates quoted for us to replace the lattues and the tiles/crochets with crap Spanish Ardoises was between 50 and 60 Euro per m2. With French ardoises it was 70 Eur m2.

With chevrons and Spanish ardoises, it came out at about 70 Eur/m2

Since we don't really care if the roof lasts 10 years or 100 years, we have just had the roof done for 2700 Euros for 63 m2 in the crap El Cheapo Spanish ardoises This equates to € 43/m2. And it looks pretty good. Good job the roofer bought too many ardoises though - 5% were unusable. Because they're crap.

If you want good ardoises, pay the extra, but do make certain that the roofer actually buys French slate - you MUST check the packing crates yourself, and make sure he uses INOX crochets - he WILL try to use galv. The words "gullible" and "Britannique" go together.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just bought in Talmont Saint Hilaire and are also looking at roof repair cost, as well as assessment of what is essential as opposed to gold plating!

As important as price is confidence in the contractor.

Can anyone recommend any roofers that they have used ,and would use again,in Talmont or Vendee areas (also general builders)

thanks

Jonathan & Pauline

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We have a house in Britainy. This has a 145 sq metre roof. The cheapest quote was got was € 13,660. This works out to be about € 90 per sq metre. This includes replacing all the slate, felting and adding 2 large velux windows. Hope this helps. 

Cheers, Alan.

90€ per m2 does seem a little on the dear side if you did not have any of the fixings or structure replaced, but then again, if you had lauze rather than slates, then the price seems reasonable.  As I said earlier without the full spec, realistic comparisons cannot be made.  Also access to the roof can be a contributory factor to prices. There is a lot of difference in re-roofing a chalet style house in a field to a 4 storey town house in a narrow village street

Hello, I did my own roof last year... 80m2 on a small barn which is to be my home. The farmhouse can wait, too expensive for now.

From a bare ossature on walls I fitted chevrons, volige then a breathable membrane to keep all dry whilst I worked, as alone it took me two weeks of solid work. I bought first second quality slates for 28cents each and these I can tell you are a waste of time. They are brittle, irregular and full of flaws which means they break almost as soon as you fit them.

I sent one pallet back exchanging it for 1st quality at 42cents each. These went on like a dream and when tapped with a hammer rang like a bell. I used inox crochets buying two different lengths because of the gaps in the volige.

There are 3 large velux and nantes type guttering although the soldering will have to wait until next year when I shall remove the required slates and try my hand at this difficult metier, for now duct tape seals the join...

All in all I think I spent around 4000 euros and it was the first roof I had ever done alone having worked as an unpaid labourer on another Brits house to learn how to do it.

Yes it aint perfect but it didn't cost the earth, a great learning step before I tackle the much larger farmhouse.

It works out at 50euros m2 for materials all in. Minus the velux its around 37.50euros.

I work with a young french couple on an exchange basis also. They like me have very little money and so have chosen to learn every metier possible in order to renovate a cob shell. Seb bought himself a morticing machine and has created a whole new ossature in oak from scratch, no experience just advice from others. The earth walls rebuilt and reroofed with no previous experience also. We also fitted two fosse sceptiques between us using a professional driver for the machinery.

Sorry to go off thread but I just wanted to say that it can all be done on a budget.

To remove "Canal Tiles" . Rework and Replace all Timbers. Install Thermal Insulation .Install pine boarding.Install new Chevrons.  Install new tiles under and old tiles over. Install gutters and drops to 315 sqm. + Bits and Pieces including Vent pipe penetration etc - 100 Euro m2

We are also having all of the first floor beams replaced and new oak floor boards (170 m2) at 43 Euro m2 - Meant to be very special !

Total for all works - 42000 Euro (£30K)

Are using local architect to Project Manage who is using local artisans. When you look at the work involved even at 100 Euro m2 it seems a steal.