Shower Walls

Lespearsons

I am putting in 2 new shower rooms 3 x 2.5m approx. I've had a look through the archive and saw the postings about Hydrofluge and Wedi boards for the shower area to be tiled. Some years ago in England I used exterior grade plywood for the shower cubicle and tiled that. It worked fine. Is it an option in France and if so what is it called?

Would I still use Hydrofluge for the rest of the shower room and ceiling or ordinary plaster board? The walls are to be painted, not tiled.

Thanks in anticipation

Keith

[quote]I am putting in 2 new shower rooms 3 x 2.5m approx. I've had a look through the archive and saw the postings about Hydrofluge and Wedi boards for the shower area to be tiled. Some years ago in England...[/quote]

One can certainly buy contraplaque hudrofuge, but why would you bother? It is very expensive and not much better than green placo. There are also cement-based waterproof boards. Ask in your local builders merchants. Outside the shower or bath area (and perhaps behind a sink), I would use ordinary plasterboard.

les.

We are fitting lots of the Wet walling now instead of tiles around the shower/ Bath area, and have found it to be excellent.

The panels are a laminate, and are watertight,carry a 15 year guarantee and do not crack or delaminate.

The name of the manufacture we use is RESPATEX

www.respatex.co.uk although there are obviously others

Hope this helps

Regards VJ and the team

Well, I know there are cheaper alternatives, but having been an amateur boat builder and sailor, I still prefer to use marine ply for shower walls.

I like working in wood anyway, and hate any sort of plasterboard. Plywood is easy and clean to cut and shape accurately. Marine ply will last for years even if exposed directly to water. It won't warp, expand, contract or move in other ways. It's very strong and takes screw fixings without plugs, so you can fasten shower fittings, towel rails and even heavy duty grab handles direct into it.

You can apply a couple of coats of unibond sealer before tiling and relax in the knowledge the wall will outlast its builder, with all tiles and fittings as firmly fixed as they ever were.

When the job's done you can use the offcuts in the fire or even the boiler heating the water for the shower. Neat, I think.

Anyway, if you have any doubts, imagine going to sea in a boat made of plasterboard........

Patrick

To Nena Re the wet walling

Yes we have used it and we find it great to work with and install.

We have not found it in France (but I am sure it is here)and it was easy to bring over.

Tend to fit the S silk finish

These are trade prices so you may have to haggle

The 2.4m x 1,2m was £75-00 plus vat

The 2,4m x 0.9m was £76-00 plus vat

Easy to stick on by applying suitable adhesive to rear or screw on using the tongue and grooves

Ends and corners have a plastic profile.

It is a WBP plywood with a balance laminate