Plumbing using hard solder

Ralph

(You are good for a laugh.....)HE HE HA HA

There you are old Fruity

I had already told you it was at the Merchants and you wanted the name of the (magic Flux ) Old Fruity

(stay in Britain ) ooohhh eerrrr May be closer than you think !!!!!!!

You need to get out more Old Fruity

PS all the Guys say hello

What I will say OP the majority of what you put up is very good and we all enjoy reading it

So marks out of 10 = 8 1/2

Bit of culture from Alex for you OP

WE’VE fought with many men acrost the seas,

An’ some of ’em was brave an’ some was not:

The Paythan an’ the Zulu an’ Burmese;

But the Fuzzy was the finest o’ the lot.

Reading all the discussions about hard and soft solders is making me loose the will to live. Surely the difference in the two when used on normal plumbing at up to 6 bar is academic and I do not follow the argument about frost resistance.

If a pipe freezes the water expands and something has to give to relieve it. If this is not a joint then it will be the pipe. It is a lot easier to repair a sprung fitting than cut out a length of split pipe and replace it. With this in mind I was advised many years ago by a plumber to fit a compression joint somewhere in a susceptable run which will merely pull off the pipe and can be refitted. Altenatively fit section isolating valves and permanent drain valve (not cocks)run to the outside so that you can drain the system easily before leaving, works for me.

The point about soldering wet pipes, either bung a piece of bread up them to stop the drip or better still use a compression fitting for the last connection to an existing wet system.

As for resoldering already fitted joints, just open another bottle of wine and forget it.

Regards

PG