sticky tar

hi

sticky tar........

3 reasons

1 wood not dry , it must be at least 2 years old 3 is better

2 you are burning hi sap wood i.e. pine

3 you have a fire that is too big for your needs and are running it SLOW BURN  .... run it at full blast from time to time and if need open a window.

hope this helps

dave

Thank you. I am not at all technical but in laymans terms. It is a free standing fire, no chimney/fireplace. The black auluminium tube goes from back of fire, 23 cms then into wall of 53cm, in the wall it goes through a round breeze block, then into something that to me looks like an elbow with concertina bitd, then straight up the wall. I get a beautiful fire from it, but also the black tar seems to be dripping back down and dripping from the tube by fire.I am so sorry ,If you knew me you would know why I can't explain this or anything in more technical terms. The tube has a cap on the top. I have only used it twice. Thank you Molly

(The black auluminium tube) Question 1 is this aluminium or enamelled tube?

(looks like an elbow with concertina bitd, then straight up the wall.)

Question 2 The 23cm and 53cm is this a horizontal run?

Question 3 (Then straight up the wall) is this internal or external?

Question 4 What is the height before the pipe terminates? Roughly

last question is the pipe going up the wall (single skin or double) or can you not tell?

regards VJ and team

Hi Vj

How awful to have to try and work something out from my answers.

1) It's black enamel, though the very top bit doesn't seem to be. It has no shine but black.

2) Yes straight through, then concertina thing at an angle.

3) External, four and a half tubes. I am sorry I cant be more accurate. I remember being told the last bit is 50cms after roof line.

4) I think the tube may be on upside down, as it was taken off by a friend and put on the other way, trouble started then. If there is such a thing as upside down!

Thank you  

Well Molly do you want the good news ar the bad news.????

The good news is if you can only burn really dry wood, and use a de tarring agent at least twice a week, regularly sweep the chimney with a stainles steel brush (3 times a year)then there is the possibility of of it being OK.

The bad news is if you burn wood with a medium to high moisture content then the tar/sap in the wood will be (as it is contained in the smoke) will condense on the walls of your cold flue

It will be ok on full burn but when you shut the unit to slumber / overnight,/ the flue will start to drip with the tar and eventually fur up completely.

Beleive me I have inspected a 12 inch stainless steel single skin flue with a gap of about 2 inches in the centre.

The guy cleaning had to chiesel away from the chimney Top for about two days before he could get a reasonable flue/gas passage.

The answer would be to renew the section from the horizontal pipe , starting from a tangential TEE and to the exit at the roof in double insulated stainless steel pipe.

But this is just my view, ???? and open for debate

VJ