long cylindrical fire

We have two of these and they are not usually a problem to light. In fact my husband is usually i/c fires and he is away at the moment but basically we put screwed up up newspaper or a couple of firelighters in the bottom with a good quantity of dry kindling on top. Once it's alight (we use extra long matches through the bottom) we add one or two very dry smallish logs and top up with more dry logs once it's going well. Sometimes if the wind is in a particular direction we need to leave the room door/window ajar until it gets going, to increase the draught. Leaving the glass door on the stove slightly open until it gets going should help, and leave the damper fully open at the bottom until it is roaring away. Also leave a good bed of ash when you let the fire go out as this will make it easier next time (I don't know why but it seems to work). Really dry logs are essential, especially at the start-up stage, but don't put the very big stuff in until it gets going. We have been delighted with ours which will usually stay in overnight if we are careful, and they give out a generous amount of heat as well as looking nice. Hope this helps - if you still have problems lighting it, maybe it needs a check-up by the Godin engineer?

Good luck,

Val

I've just checked the Godin catalogue and the tall cylindrical poeles take wood or charbon (coal) so I guess you could use anthracite (if you can find any). I lit ours last night and have come to the conclusion that screwed up newspaper is easier to light than firelighters as when you are lighting it through the bottom the match locates the paper easier than the firelighter. Hope you're having more success now!

Val

Hi Dave

I always thought charbon was charcoal too, but the dictionary gives the translation as coal. Charcoal is apparently charbon de bois. I haven't seen coal on sale here (65) but I seem to remember someone from Northern France saying on this Forum some time ago that it was commonly used round them.

Val