Gutter brackets

Nev

I wish to attach some pvc guttering to a small pigsty that I'm converting into storage sheds. I've bought the guttering, pvc '25' half-round (25-what, I've no idea! It's not cms!) and conventional brackets which in UK I'd use to fasten it to a facia board. However, there is no facia, just the normal 'pierre' wall. The brico sold me some zinc-plated supports which have a long pin (about 22cms long) and which are meant to be fastend into the stonework and then the plastic brackets bolt onto these. There's a slot to allow vertical adjustment to achieve the required fall.

After all that, my question is - do I just drive the pin into a joint in the wall, or do I drill a pilot hole first? As it's going to be near the top of the wall, is there a danger that I'll loosen the stonework if I hammer it home?

Nev

[quote]I wish to attach some pvc guttering to a small pigsty that I'm converting into storage sheds. I've bought the guttering, pvc '25' half-round (25-what, I've no idea! It's not cms!) and conventional bra...[/quote]

I would drill first (into the mortar) & then stuff some Gripfill (if you have any, not available in France) or Ni Vis, Ni Clous (which isn't half as good) into the hole before hammering in the brackets, There are resin injection systems available, but they are quite expensive. Or fit the brackets to the stone using a larger hole (than the bracket) and filing the hole with a stiff mix of "Mortier de reparation"

You could always fix a board to the wall for your "conventional" brackets.

Thanks Nick

I was coming to the same conclusion (drill first). There's not much room to fix a facia board as the tile overhang is not great; by the time I've fitted a board the water will run off between the board and the gutter! I don't want to get into a long job which involves stripping back and relaying the tiles, so drilling it is.

Nev

• 4 weeks later...