Builder Woes

Sbesley

Just come back from what could, had the sun not shone continuously, been rather depressing week at my maison secondaire.

Renovations have been in progress and should have been completed...

The builders, French registered with siret number etc. have in some areas done a very poor job. I did inspect the works at various stages while they were in progress, but it took a few days living there to discover that the drains would back up, the electrics were dodgy and so on.

Some of the work (structural, tiling etc.) has been completed well, but the plumbing, electrics and standard of the final finish is poor.

I'll be writing to them with a list of areas for correction and completion, but in the event that they are reluctant complete/redo these works to my satisfaction, is there anything I can use as a stick?

I would be extremely reluctant to take legal action, seeing only considerably expense and an uncertain outcome via that route. I still retain €3000 of their final payment, is this my only card? If they were builders in the UK I would be fairly sure that they had not complied with building regs. Apparently the same system does not apply in France.

Any advice gratefully received!

Stephen.

It is the builders resposibility to comply with building regs.. He should have (by law) assurance decennale and should have given you a copy of the 'attestation decennale' when you accepted the quote - this will list the trades that are insured. In your case, I would say it is very important that you check the insurance for the electrical work as in the event of a fire if it can be found to be caused by an electrical fault you house insurance may not cover you.

With regard to final finishing works, create a 'snagging' list and withhold final payment until everything is finished to your satisfaction. This can be tricky as some items are often overlooked in the initial contract and added on as extras during the course of the works. It would not be reasonable to withhold final payment on the main contract for unfinished extras.

Builders around here don't do electrics or plumbing, they just do the maconnerie associated things........ so have you got a house building company in or a builder. As the building companies do cover everything, I know there isn't much difference but the building companies will have to have qualified people doing these specific jobs and the insurance etc to cover them.

ps the builders will find an electrician and plumber to do the work if the client asks or the person having the property built will find these people themselves.

I have exactly the same problem with a British/French registered building company.

Some of the work is reasonable, some shoddy, some laughable and some absolutely attrocious.

I have sent you a private email so we can compare notes and plan of action.

• 4 months later...

we are thinking of moving to France.  My husband is a ceramic tiler by trade but does small building works here in the UK. I am a nurse.

From some of the posts I have read here thier appears to be a call for, reliable, good builders. Can I just ask a few questions.Would you choose an english builder, if he had references ect.  Are there many english builders, and i do not mean, ex any other job, but now doing building works.

I only ask these questions, becauseas I say, we are seriously considering a move to France within  the next 15 months

Many thanks

Tanya

Well, the 'snag list' was met by silence, as were all further letters!

There was  €3000 outstanding to be paid on the devis,  problem was that  there was  approximately double this  figure remaining of work not done, or rework required. The builder eventually explained to a third party that he wouldn't be returning as he didn't think he would get paid for completing the remaining work if he did!

Basically he knows he's done a poor job and doesn't care. In fact he invited me to sue him on the basis that he would win as he was a French citizen and I was a foreigner! This was obviously a very tempting offer.  However I haven't because for all sorts of reasons I think I'd be throwing good money after bad.

What would I have done differently? Well with the benefit of hindsight... two years on from when I bought the property, I now have some local contacts I trust and would take their advice on who to use. I was and would still be reluctant to use an English tradesman 'on the black'. A registered English speaking artisan with a good local reputation would have been ideal! Hard to find though... I think the bottom line this that if you are not on site daily during a renovation project whether it be in France or England, the chances of the work not meeting your expectations are very high!

Stephen.

ps PM me for the name a certain firm of Rouen based builders to avoid at all costs!

Tanya,

We have been welcomed in the Creuse by the French with open arms (because we speak French - of a sort). Some French friends have an English neighbour (a general builder) who does not speak French, works only on English properties, using materials bought in England and built to UK standards! Perhaps I could suggest that while you may well find such work, it would help your cause immeasurably to learn French, the French standards and to source materials locally. Good luck! Steve

It works both ways.   An English couple in our village, who still speak no French after 18 months living here, have been using local builders to convert their garage into a studio for her father.   It was nearly finished when he arrived and immedately complained that various things had not been done to UK standards.   He insisted that they should be redone, which took some time.   Now he has left (in a rage) and the builders are reluctant to continue in case he comes back and complains again.   The French standards were safe and OK, BTW, it just wasn't what he was used to.   Now he calls the (perfectly proficient) builders "cowboys"...........

Many thanks for this.  We are learning french, although i am better than my husband?. 

We should have enough money to buy a property outright, and as I nurse, i am looking to locate to an area, from where I can return to England every month or so to do bank work to supplement income whilst we get  settled ect. Would like to have a small B&B to add  to income. But at moment still in "looking" at different options phase!

Tanya

It is a sad fact that this sort of thing happens fairly frequently in all areas.  It makes things very difficult for the 'real' artisans.  It does appear to be a case of the 'British' praying on the British.  In some cases allthough unfair the clients themselves are partly to blame as it is their responsibility to ensure the artisan is registered etc.  My hubby is an English, French registered Artisan and most of the work he obtains is through previous clients who are more than happy to reccommend him to others. This means less money needed on Advertising! Recently more and more clients are calling on him to put right the work of others, work they have already paid for that is unfinished badly done or worst of all to do work for people who have paid builders who never even started the work after recieving payment.

All I can say is be careful and try to source your Artisans through reliable means ask to see projects they have worked on previously and make sure the owner of the property is availiable to verify that the work was done by that person.