Regulations for re wiring a house in France

Ian Blurton

Hi,

I've recently bought a house in France and it needs a complete rewire. Having obtained a quote or two the I have come to the conclusion that I am in the wrong job, in the wrong country. Such is life ! I have friends who are electricians in the UK who are prepared to consider taking on the job.

Can anyone direct me to a website (in English please) which will spell out the necessary regulations that I will need to comply with to meet French standards.

Many Thanks

Um, would you expect to find a web site in French on English electrical regulations ? There is plenty of stuff out there but it is in French, and I would expect anybody who is going to tackle this sort of job ought to get their linguistic hat on.

Also Administrators, this one comes up with great regularity . Is it time for aaa FAQ section ?

Jim

I am going through the same process but a stage at a time. Our French electrician (who turned a funny shade of green when he saw our fuse board) is currently replacing the fuse box (approx 1000 euros) and has suggested rewiring a room at a time when we renovate/re-decorate.

One question: if using a UK electrician (even if following French regs) how do you get a certificate of conformity for the work if an artisan isnt employed. Would this not affect insurance and the abilty to resell?

I also agree with the earlier comment that though the charges are higher, you rarely see any artisan driving around in a flash car or living in a flash house.

Fortunately at the moment we are still living and working in the UK so can just about find the additional money for this type of work (we need a new boiler also) but I doubt once we move permanently that we will have the spare capital for any major works after the tax man takes his dues.

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com

Whilst I can see Jim's point, I imagine there are rather fewer French people renovating English houses than vice versa. So if demand is high enough, it might be worth someone's effort to publish some comprehensive guidelines in English.

And whilst I agree that it is desirable that we Brits do our best to get to grips with the French language if we intend to live there, it's also pretty desirable that we do not kill ourselves, or others, due to some failure to understand some technical term we might not pick up in the normal course of learning the every-day language.

So a DIY guide in English along the lines of the popular Which? (UK wiring) publication but specifically for French properties would, I think, attract a fair amount of interest.

One question: if using a UK electrician (even if following French regs) how do you get a certificate of conformity for the work if an artisan isnt employed. Would this not affect insurance and the abilty to resell?

Mike

My understanding is that it doesn't matter who does the work . It is inspected independently by the consuel and if it is done right it will get the certificate.

bj

Seconded.

Never, ever, ever, be tempted to wire 'UK style' You will invalidate

your insurance, probably have difficulty re-selling your property and

its possibly illegal anyway!!!!

Check out the 'comme un pro' series by Thierry Gallauziaux & David Fedullo, lots of self explanatory pics.

Regards

I would like to know if it is possible for me to

obtain any French certification to enable me to officially carry out

certain domestic electrical works in France.

I am from a ground radio communications fitter and later computer

engineer/fitter background. I have installed French wiring and circuits

recently and am reading up on the important aspects of NF C15-100. I am

also experienced with computer systems and networks.

We originally came to France to retire early but with the domestic

DIY have not done much retiring and in fact have rekindled a desire to

use my old skills.

I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of

any previous posts on the subject or any French site that gives info on

this.

I am a young 55.

I hope this question makes sense !!!

I have ( or hopefully will have soon ) re-wired room by room to replace

the 'crappy'existing system, but have not yet  it connected to the

existing system. Part of the work involves the installation of a

new  'tableau' in a different location to the existing mains

incomer. This will mean that EDF will need to relocate the incoming

supply. Will this be treated as a 'new' supply for the purposes on

Consuel inspection or what? Has anyone experienced this type of

situation?.

The new incomer location is about 6 metres from the existing which is a

dropper from an overhead and then through the gable end wall of the

house to the meter etc.

Finally, do I supply and fit the disjoncteur de branchment or is that an EDF job.

The basic idea is to 'liven up' the new system then remove all the old, hence minimising the off supply time.

regards

Steve

There is certainly provision in the Consuel system to inspect partial renovations of existing systems. Have you confirmed that EDF will actually relocate your incomers or that they will accept the  new position of your tableau. It seems to me far from certain that they will automatically carry out this work.

bj.

Indeed, EDF may just leave the meter where it is. They won't get involved in anything past the meter, anyway. In fact, around here at least, the sub-contract all work on domestic properties (badly in my experience).

If you can. leave the meter and just run long tails to the new tableau, no need to tell/involve anyone!

To "fulcrum", if you can prove your experience in the UK, you should be able to register (note register, not certify) as an Electricain here. Speak to your local Chambre de Metiers.

[quote user="nicktrollope"]Indeed, EDF may just leave the meter where it is. They won't get involved in anything past the meter, anyway. In fact, around here at least, the sub-contract all work on domestic properties (badly in my experience).

If you can. leave the meter and just run long tails to the new tableau, no need to tell/involve anyone!

To "fulcrum", if you can prove your experience in the UK, you should be able to register (note register, not certify) as an Electricain here. Speak to your local Chambre de Metiers.

[/quote]

Nick

Thanks that.

Nick & Bejay,

Thanks for reply, the reason I would like the meter moved is to put it

in a weatherproof cabinet accessible from outside by the EDF meter

reader so that we dont have to be in France when the meter is read. Its

not an unsolvable problem and the idea of extending the 'meter tails'

is very interesting. Any idea of extension length limits ( if any ) I

presume 10mm sqr is the correct size for normal domestic supply.

Regards

You don't have to have your meter moved outside. You can ask the EDF to install a remote device called a téléreport which is about the size of a packet of cigarettes, and looks far less unsightly and costs less than a big white box stuck on the outside !

As regards extending the meter tails, you would be well advised to do them in 16mm, to allow for any future expansion of your system, as well as voltage drop problems.

Paul

[quote user="powerdesal"]Paul,

Thanks for that, can the telereport ( accents missing) be fitted to an old style meter or does it need the modern digital type, mine came out of the ark!!!!

Point taken about 16mm sqr

Regards

[/quote]

If you request the EDF to fit a telereport, they will often install a new electronic meter , well that's what usually happens when I request them to be fitted here in 53. Cost from memory was around 75 euros last time I had one done.

Paul