Good Carpet Retailer and or Fitter Req

Andy

Hi, has anyone used or does anyone know of a good carpet retailer and or a good carpet fitter in the Northern Dordogne area.

I know carpet (Moquette) is not so commonly used and I have been advised that they tend to glue carpet down and don't use stretchers etc....is this correct?

Regards

Andy

Last summer I fitted one in a bedroom, it was bought from a local Briconautes and cost very little, but isn't bad quality as bedroom carpets go.

Normally, I'd have liked to have wooden flooring, but the floorboardfs were in such poor condition that covering them was the only way, short of replacement, which I couldn't afford at the time.

I did the job myself with a decent LARGE pair of scissors, a Stanley knife with a new blade, and lots of patience.

Room was ROUGHLY rectangular, with a buttress where the chimney is and a bay window.

Alcazar

[quote

user="Andy K"]

I know carpet (Moquette) is not so commonly used and I have been advised

that they tend to glue carpet down and don't use stretchers etc....is this

correct?

Regards

Andy

[/quote]

I have only looked at St Maclou (nationwide chain of

flooring shops).  They sell tiles, clip

wooden flooring as well as carpet (plus some curtains, etc.)  Fairly large stores so a pretty good range

(both cheaper through to higher  quality).  Not used them

yet but they both sell and can offer a fitting service.  When I was speaking to them they did want to

glue the carpet down – so from what you say I guess this may easily be common

practice (also their booklet about “how to fit carpet” shows the different ways

to glue down different types of carpet).

Cannot recommend them as I’ve not used them but they do

offer fitting so might be worth asking about if they can fit as you want.

http://www.saint-maclou.com/html/homepage/homepage.php

They have a bit on their web site about different methods of

fitting - http://www.saint-maclou.com/html/produits/prod_moquettes.php (towards

the bottom under the carpet pictures on the left side).

Ian

We have a quite attractive moquette in our main corridor - unfortunately I think someone tried to steam clean it at some time and so the glue underneath has formed uneven hard ridges and the effect is rather like walking on a thin but overinflated lilo.  We have so far been too timid to lift an edge and look underneath, but eventually we will have to replace the carpet with something and I wonder if anyone has any idea how easy or hard it is to remove the glue......

Chrissie (81)

At a guess, if steam cleaning it has caused it to do as you said, a steam wallpaper stripper will lift it for you, with the aid of a scaper tool.

I got some REALLY nasty stuff off the bathroom ceiling using one. The glue had been used for polystyrene ceiling tiles. Only problem was that over-applying the steam to the ceiling resulted in some of the skim plaster coming away too[:(] At least you won't have that problem on a floor.

Alcazar