Costs of Rewiring

Gabe

Can anybody tell me what they have paid to have a whole house rewired by an artisan ? I know that this is probably as long as a piece of string.... Our house was built 1790s and currently has a supply which is ok'ish. My plan is to get somebody to rewire the whole house, 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 3 reception, kitchen, utility room, halls and landings, approx size 300m2. The intention is to do this in parallel to the old system which will then be disconnected and removed (where possible).

Any budget figures will be helpful and gratefully received.

Gabe

That sounds about right: size for size you will probably find that a French rewire will cost more than the equivalent in the UK. Some of it is to do with the number of circuits, some to do with the (now) obligatory teelphone and TV points. If you want to really dig into it all, and have reasonable French, have a look at http://www.cyberbricoleur.com/?r=forum&qf=6

And search on "devis". There is hours of fun and play value

Rewire for a house half the size of yours cost €3200 with surface mounted wiring. If the extra work to bury the cables in our stone walls was included, and extrapolating the total to cover your larger home, I would expect the total to come to about €10000. The work was completed to a high standard and it works!          Alistair