floor tiles - how heavy?

sid

I'm back on floor tile queries again, sorry! I need to buy around 90 sq metres of floor tiles; does anyone have any idea what this lot will weigh? I'm going to bring them home in my trailer but I'd like an idea of how many trips it'll take. I suspect the answer is "quite heavy!" but I can't find any info on the internet on the weight of packs etc.

Sid 

90 square metres x 10 mm thick = 0.90 cubic metres . Specific gravity lordy no idea. Concrete is about 2.3 but terracotta whatever a bit less say 1.8 = still 1.62 tonnes which is an awful lot. Measure a sample and multiply by the number you first thought of.....

When we collected 75 sq mtrs from Poitiers, we took transit van and small van as they were so heavy.

Unfortunately I ended up as an emergency in hospital the next day with a strangulated gut maybe caused by lifting the boxes of tiles from vans to house (there were three of us) so take care!

Last time I was over there, the local paper had an interesting interview with a Gendarme accident investigator.

He said that of all accidents caused by overloading, tiles were the biggest culprits by far. Be careful out there!

Alcazar

I have 90 sqr m of tiles, they occupy 1 + 1/3 standard pallets and I

seem to remember the weight being quoted at approx 1800kg for the load.

I cant find the paperwork so its all in the memory so may well be

innaccurate. The number seems to tie up with La Guerriere though.

Hope it helps

Regards

Hi

I had the same problem. Each 1m2 box weighed 13kg. So 90 X 13 = 1.17 tons, if yours are the same weight each.

I had to carry them up a circular staircase two packs at a time. Bad back for a few days.

Peter

Blimey! I'm certainly glad I asked! No hernias for me then, there's only one way to get these home and that's to pay for delivery!!!

I'm buying from LaPeyre and delivery seems to be based on distance and invoice value (rather than weight), and although I can't find an exact costing online it looks as though it might be around 100€, which effectively adds just over 1€ per sq metre. I think it could be money well-spent if they come on a pallet and I can have them dumped at the door.

Thanks again for all your contributions, much appreciated.

Sid

[quote user="Alcazar"][quote user="Mpprh"]

I had to carry them up a circular staircase two packs at a time. Bad back for a few days.

Peter

[/quote]

I think I'd have been inclined to make more journeys, with one pack at a time[;)]

Alcazar

[/quote]

It seemed sensible at the time. And, yes hindsight is a wonderful thing !

I ought to say, the day before I'd carried down the same weight (+glue, etc) to get rid of the old tiles. I hated those stairs, but may have made a mistake. And the next day, I also carried up the plinths, glue, etc.

Peter

"I'm back on floor tile queries again, sorry! I need to buy around 90

sq metres of floor tiles; does anyone have any idea what this lot will

weigh? I'm going to bring them home in my trailer but I'd like an idea

of how many trips it'll take. I suspect the answer is "quite heavy!"

but I can't find any info on the internet on the weight of packs etc.

Sid"

Any decent tile supplier will offer a delivery service.

The two companies that I use have large lorries with tail-lifts and pallet trucks.

With your order do not forget to allow for tile adhesive and joint -

for 90m2 you will need around 15 25kg bags of adhesive and 4/5 25kg

bags of joint - another 500kg in total.

Lapeyre sell Weber et Broutin adhesives and joints at high prices - you

can buy them at a lower price from most professional carrelage

suppliers.

Regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux