how to go about permission for renovating

steve

unsure about a number of things on this one,

before starting work on a renovation project, ie, repairing roof, walls, adding roof windows, etc, is it best to inform the local mairie of all intended work or seek permission as you go. i have read that anything that alters the appearance of the building requires permission.

what is the procedure of obtaining permission ?

i dont know whether the local mairie has an active office where you can just turn up and take the revelant forms?

or is it expected that you go along and introduce yourself and tell them which property you have just bought ?

or is everything done by post ? 

As long as you are not adding any more than 20m² onto the house as new work, then for anything like Velux inserts, making new window and door openings etc you only need to complete a Déclaration de Travaux and hand it in with a simple drawing of the projected finish and photos of the current building. If you are going to raise the roof at all you will need a full Permis de Construire. Your maire will be a very busy person and does not have the time to sit and discuss individual applications and usually the council will have a session to decide on larger works. Speak with the secretaire or rédactress who works there to get the form for your needs. Permission should be through within two months and costs nothing.

I can't give you any help with the permission procedures but it is usual (and expected) for you to present yourself at the mairie and meet the maire. There is a sense of community in rural areas and they consider it polite to make yourself known. You should visit the officials as soon as possible. In the long run you will benefit from a friendly relationship with those who make decisions and hand out advice. The office staff will spread the word that you are in occupation, your names, type of car, number of dogs/children and probable financial situation. All good fun!

I keep avoiding the planned conversions and modifications to the house and have not needed to apply for any permissions.

Alistair

After months, i am still trying to get to grips with this and can't seem to get a definate answer. Could a barn that needs no exterior changes except for a velux (ie it already has other windows) be changed inside and become a habitable dwelling without a permis de construire? The barn has a CU. Is it possible to obtain classification as habitable on what is classed as an agricultural building with just the CU and a declaration for putting the velux in?    

No. Any building previously not used as a proper registered dwelling place will need a full PDC to change it. The works too will not all come under the 5,5% TVA either. If there is no previous first floor then all works from that upwards will be the full rate. You will be subject to inspections for the drainage and to what type of fosse installation you install as part of the PDC. The reason for the PDC is that it also informs the local Impôts who will then issue you with a Taxe d'habitation and foncière on this property. Your first port of call will be the mairie to see if they will initially allow you to convert the building into habitation before you go to all the trouble of drawing plans,submitting photos etc as not every agricultural building can be used. Also if the habitable space exceeds 170m² you will need an architect also.

A CU usually means OK in principal but unfortunately the laws keep changing and many communes now will not allow new or renovated properties which will be new dwellings due to the increasing costs of connecting to the water,electric and telephone systems,part of which the property owner will be liable for. I would still checkwith the mairie beforehand to save any uneccessary paperwork and drawings being done at your cost if you cannot go ahead. If you are within 300m of a listed monument historique which can be anything from a roadside cross to the local church you will also come under restrictions too like the siting of windows and the type of materials that you are only allowed to use. You don't say anything about electricity but I can tell you if you have none currently and the nearest post is some way off, that is going to cost you a lot of money to be connected.