Termite Report

Yes, before you buy the seller must have a new report done. The validity of this certificate is three months, others have a longer validity. Because of the short certificate it is usual not to have a survey done until a firm offer is received on a house.

[quote user="Will "]If any of the reports are out of date, the notaire should get the seller to obtain new ones. That's what you pay the notaire for [;-)][/quote]

I have observed on a couple of occasions that the termite certificate can lapse due to three months or more taken for completion. The notaire obtains another certificate without a further test from the tester.

You sign the compromis de vente and commit yourself to buying the house subject to an up to date termite report.  If it's clear, then that's it - you've bought a termite free house. 

So what is the value of the second termite report if it was issued without an inspection having been carried out???

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

So what is the value of the second termite report if it was issued without an inspection having been carried out???

[/quote]

You tell me. It always seemed a bit daft but it happened when I sold my house and again when I bought another.