Cost of a new boiler

Deimos

I am currently facing a bill of 4000€ to have my boiler flue replaced (and re-routed) so that it complies with the regs. I do not believe the current one is dangerous, but if I am to convert the attic it will definitely need re-routing and compliance.

However, with such a bill and a moderately old boiler it seems worth asking, how much for a new boiler (incl professional installation). If anybody has any finger in the air or experience then any figures much appreciated. I would ask the plumber but it took me 9 months to get the quote for the new flue. My consideration is that the flue cost would help towards a new boiler (balanced flue type – hence not requiring the expensive flue).

Boiler is quite substantial (some estimate 96Kw as the house must be close to 400 sq m floor area). Nobody actually knows as apparently it depends on the jet fitted to the burner. It’s a Viessmann boiler (good make I’m told – so not one you discard on a whim). But, the person who installed it went and put it in the wheel house (water mill), so when the wind blows upstream and there is drizzle/mist/fog everything gets pretty wet – which will probably limit the boilers life. A new balanced flue boiler could be installed only 10m from the existing one with easy access to all the pipes, etc and no cosmetic considerations (i.e. in a workshop not in a room in the house.

It’s a propane ? (tank in the garden) boiler with 3 phase electric “backup”. I have considered wood boilers (the automatic type) but the up-front cost is rather high. Boiler does central heating and water (current one has an integrated 160L water tank).

Any comments of decision and any thoughts of possible costs much appreciated.

Ian

For what it's worth, Ian, I was quoted, last year € 11.450,00 - 11.750.00 for a professional install of a complete new oil fired system. heat ouput circa 37.5Kw. Much smaller place than yours, but spare capacity for later loft conversion.

I went Ouch! Both plumbers estimated on the basis of top quality boiler, rads and etc. Also, the TVA is only 5.5% for the whole job.

I checked the costs at Brico Depot and even with the TVA at 19.6%, the total material cost was circa € 4.7500,00. Decided to do most of the graft myself.

The Viessman is a top quality boiler: perhaps I might be tempted to check the potential for overhaul. After all, the only bit that normally goes wrong, terminally, is the boiler heat exchange casting.

The downside might well be the existing unit's efficiency. new boilers tend to be far more efficient, even without going to a condensing boiler. The gas valve can be changed, normally. What else is there to go wrong?

Final point: have you checked on the Kw cost of oil against gas? I did consider gas, but the cost appeared far higher than oil, even with the increased prices.

Hope the project goes well.[:D]