Driveway

Bridan

Brian,

I can only help with the top surface. The drive was already established but looked rather tatty and so we decided to buy gravel. The gravel in France is not the same as that found in the South of England which we use on our Surrey home drive. Brico-Marche stocks bulk quantities of various aggregates including "gravillon" which appears to be stone chippings, corresponding to 15mm gravel. My wife thinks the mix of greys and pinks looks good!

The cost of the gravillon was in the region of €30 per cubic metre and with the delivery charge we paid about €150 for four cubic metres.

Hope this helps a little.                        Alistair

Hello Brian

Yes, I sent a personal mail through this forum, but was not sure if it sent or not??  Will try again, but basically depending on what area of 61 you are in (we are in 53 but nr Ferte Mace 61 area) then I can recommend a quarry and hire equipment supplier (would post on the forum, but it will no doubt be seen as advertising and removed!) for wacker/roller etc..

Patrick J Martin

• 2 weeks later...

We had ours done by a local Brit couple with what looks like crushed stone which works very well and doesn't spread like pea shingle as it sort of sticks together to do the area show including levelling the ground and making the turning circle they charged me 900Euro which we thought was a pretty good price

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/Bassman/Kerblezic/Picture028a.jpg[/IMG]

The best place to buy is from a local quarry. There are plenty in 61 and on the 50/61 borders. They tend to work as  groups, so you will have the choice of stone from different areas. If you buy enough - e.g. a complete load - they arrange delivery. Friends of ours had two loads of white-coloured crushed stone to do a driveway and the area in front of a small house in 53, we ordered it for them from carrière de la Galoberie, Ferrières, 50, and it came from Barenton.

Complete load  is when the lorry is filled to its capacity and obviously depends on the size of the lorry. The largest delivery vehicles usually carry 20 tonnes which works out at about 12 cubic meters of gravel. There are many smaller trucks in operation and you can often get "complete" load of only eight tonnes.

Alistair