Ground Floor Studwork

Micksyl

We now have our first stage foundations in and are moving forward to the installation of underfloor heating pipework. My question is whether we should build up the level from the foundation with concrete blocks where it is intended to build stud walls or if it is ok to build off the finished screed surface.

Thanks for assistance

Hi

Build straight off the screed, use 75mm x 50mm timber, it gives a much more solid structure, avoid the metal stuff it is absolute C**p. Or for better sound proofing use Ytong blocks as suggested by Hardhat, they are light, cut easily with a regular saw and you can plaster straight over them too !

Nice to know everyone agrees!

Personally, I would go for light blocks every time if constructing off a solid floor. You will have something solid to screw into without bothering with cavity fittings or hunting for hidden struts.

I might add though that all my houses have had some wood and plasterboard stud walls and I have never had problems with them warping.

hi

sorry if i have read this question correctly ...........no  ... because you will not get the dpc course in .

you need to end up building with beit wood .....  ect at least  4" above the dpc .

dave

Thanks for the ideas team

The consensus seems to be that we can install straight off the render following installation of the under floor pipework. 

We will have a combination of walls as the existing mixed tile, cow dung and bird nests infill was removed and the timber frames retained supported on concrete infill. It is our intention to retain this effect on a couple of walls (Oak been slowly drying for three years in the stable) whilst the tech room and downstairs cloak will  be solid block.

Off to get keys to our now watertight conversion this week. Thanks Again.

yes but they are going to build a stud wall off the footings !!!!! so where is the dpc?????

When I replied earlier I read the initial post and assumed these were internel walls we were talking about, having read it again, it is not quite clear.

If these are external walls then block work or brick usually comes out of the ground to DPC level, then the main wall construction would be on top of the DPC.

Interior walls off the finished concrete floor should not need a DPC as waterproof membrane is fitted before the concrete is poured to prevent rising damp etc.

hi

could you repost this question with a bit more info....... please.......  we donot want it to turn out like ...........  and old C.B. phrase one nine for an argument........ 

shown my age a bit there........

dave

OK. Having seen the previous discussions ! We have had a complete foundation laid in our Barn Conversion including DPC. The foundation has been left below finished level to allow the installation of insulation , underfloor heating, water and electrics. Which would then be covered with a screed and tiles.

Where existing columbage walls were situated the infill has been removed and the beams suspended on small pillars to bring them up to the finished floor level.

My question related to whether we should raise dividing walls directly from the foundation or from the screed that will cover the underfloor heating pipes etc.

Hope that clears the position a little.

We are having underfloor heating installed at the moment and our builder and plumber have both said that the walls (either block or stud) need to go in before the screed. This is so that the insulation that sits below and to the sides of the final screed doesn't run under the wall.

Having thought about it a while this does make sense - you will end up with the 'warm' slab heating up the cavity between the walls.

Simon and Liz (87)