dehumidifiers

Frederick

I have thought that my place might benefit from a dehumidifier left ticking over having just opened up the place after the 1st winter ( Nr La Tranche  ).....they dont appear to be  expensive to run... automatically  switch on and off .....and put out warm dry air ..anybody leave one running  while away.?...are they an advantage  to keep running all winter ?....or a waste of time ?

The ones I have looked at have fittings for a hose to drain outlet .....and they seem to have settings for what is considered to be "normal  humidity" and anything other than that ....they will kick in and prevent dampness.....I noticed I had a door that would not shut  properly until I had  had some heaters running for a few days . and I was thinking it would stop this swelling ...the Vendee has been a bit cold for there  down to minus 5 and had a lot of rain over the winter .I have means of disposing of the water from via the hose  so thats not a problem I was just wondering if without heating on over winter I was expecting too much from  a  dehumidifier .

ventilation mécanique contrôlée

It sucks, in a good way. Sorry I am not technical and will let those who are far better than me at explaining, explain.

ps  they have them in Castorama and I'm sure in all the other brico stores.

pps we have had an expensive one, but bought a cheapish one last time and it works perfectly well.

If you get a dehumidifier and leave it on for an extended time be very careful about the level you set it at. If set too dry you can do significant damage to a property. They are quite powerful things and will start to dry wood, etc. out. I am told this can cause cracking, etc. Check with an expert (and not the trainee assistant in comet).

Ian

I have had a number of dehumidifiers over the years, but in my opinion no electrical equipment should be permanently left on unsupervised. Whilst, dehumidifiers do have settings to turn of when the humidity reaches the prescribed level, in the winter months when damp is at its highest it is unlikely that the machine will ever turn off if it is correctly set to do a good job. Although, they are relatively cheap to run the cost will add up over the winter months. The final point depending  on the number of damp rooms and their sizes you will need to allow for at least one dehumidifier per area, otherwise the whole exercise would be a waste of time other than to keep EDF in profit.

Baz

No do not have a  VMC ...I looked at  climatic control equipment and they appeared to have a pipe that has to be put through a wall to draw air in from outside ...so would be a big bit of kit permenantly fixed against a wall.....put me off as dont feel happy about going through such a thick outside  wall ...(dont know whats in the middle of it in the way of stone ) and was looking more to the idea of somthing I could move about the house when needed  ..one in the kitchen ...hose outlet down the sink .....another other end of the house in a bedroom where some long outlet  hose could be run into and  down the  shower  and then  leave all the internal  doors open...  I have used an industrial size dehumidifier after an extension build in the UK that worked fine and dried the place out ....I have no experiance  of using  the small domestic ones that have now appeared in the shops that are quoted as taking 10 ltrs of water a day out of the air if on constant setting !!!

Horses for courses. We leave 3 dehumidifiers on over winter . We have them rigged up so that they drain permanently . We have used them this way for several years and they are excellent. We also have the system TU refers to in another house and that's really good too.[;-)]

Hi,I would forget the electri refidgeration types of de-humidifier.Apart from the cost of leaving them runningand any attendant problems,we have had excellent results from the crystal type moisture absorbers,obtainable from just about any store or supermarket in France.This was yet another panic purchase when we first arrived in our house,september,and by feb,all the beams etc were coated in mold growth in our empty annexe.the de-humidifier is still very usefull though,but only after showering etc.We have no chance in fitting a VMC.The cost of the re renovation would make this a complete waste of money-wasted enough already!   Maude 

I did not have any mould problems on beams thank goodness and only a little patch on a wall in the corner so it sounds like my first experience of locking up a house for six months has not been a bad one........I will get a couple of dehumidifiers  and just keep them handy to use if required I think......thank you everyone for your posts......most appreciated .....hope you all have a good year .

I read an article the other day about a bad fire started by an unattended dehumidifier. Apparently, this was not an isolated incident and the advice given was not to leave dehumidifiers on boats and in second homes running unattended during the winter months.

When we first bought our cottage we had a major problem with damp in the back room - ugh, dark and dank (this was before living here permenantly, renovating and installing heating, VMCs etc).

We used a dehumidifier when here but, on leaving the place, we locked the shutters but left the window and internal door open in that particular room which allowed the air to circulate. It seemed to work and could be a cheap, safe option if you have good shutters.

Thanks  Zeb............I have decided to get a couple  to take down and they will be  handy should I need them when opened  up again. I have family heading down next month they can take one with them  ......I now dont really think I have much of a problem and a day or two with them on after opening up should make a difference ......thanks for the input .