Roofing/loft conversion query

Matt

The roof on my house is in reasonably good repair other than a broken,but supported beam. I want to convert the loft space into a room so my question is ,do I need to strip the roof in order to waterproof (ie:felt ) the roof or is there a product or way that would enable me to convert the the loft without stripping the tiles.

Thanks in anticipation.

Matt

We have just had our loft converted two two bedrooms, bathroom and storeroom.  we needede to have a support beam lifted  metre.  the only stripping of the roof was for replacement velux windows and two new dormers.  With the conversion we did need to have five 'ventilation' tiles.  With the change of the supports we did have to have a new metal cross support.  No major tile stripping was undertaken.

I wouldn't use roofing felt. It is not "normal" in France. A properly built slate roof will not leak, and if it does, then felt ain't the answer (as you will need to remove the tiles anyway & you may as well just put them back properly!). Don't be tempted by any of the spray-on solutions - unless you are planning to sell to an idiot & leave!

Nick

Is it OK then to insulate and board straight under the tiles.They are clay tiles hung on tile battens and as far as I know there are no leaks.My concern was if the wind were to blow any rain under the tiles it would cause damp inside.Also ,would I use straight forward rockwool insulation or cellatex sheets? Thanks also for the advice on the spray on stuff as I must confess I was curious about it.

Make sure to leave an air gap between the tiles and your insualtion material.  This way any damp that does occur has a chance to dry out through natural ventilation.  Fail to do this and you get the same results as the spray on rubbish Nick warned about - ie rotten beams.