new staircase

Markw

I am trying to price up a new hardwood staircase for access to our new first floor. Having looked at the different sizes and styles at the normal brico outlets, it is apparent that they will need to be cut about a bit to fit where I need it. Firstly, does anyone have any idea how much a carpenter would charge for a basic, quarter turn, made to measure hardwood staircase.Secondly, can anyone recommend a carpenter for this,  in the Locmine - Josselin area of Brittany. The prices of the standard size ones range from 600 - 800 euros.

Cheers

Mark

Two local examples, both hardwood, both completely designed and installed both excellent fit and finish, two different charpentiers.

Between €  1,250 and 1,400.

Both quarter turn, used in loft conversions.

BTW: It does seem as if charges made by artisans in this area (Nord Pas de Calais), tend to be higher than many other areas. Hope this helps.

Hi Mark I am a carpenter and fitted a quarter turn escaliers to my cottage in Mayenne last year you can buy with the turn left or right and some stairs all bolt together very easily but you would need another body for fitting,are the beams cut away to take the stairs ,this is also quite possible with a little planning and some basic prop arrangements ie fitting an end trimmer to take cut away beams the cost was 800 euros good luck Don

Hi Don,

I was looking at the hardwood escalier from Lapeyre. It looks like quite good quality.This retails for about 600 euros. The only problem is that the lowest height is 2.75m and the height of my first floor is about 2.70m. Does that mean I have to take the excess off the first step. If this is the case would it be strange to have a half step at the bottom? I can sort out the beams and trimmer but any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Mark

Hi mark

If you need to take off 50mm from the bottom step this won't = half a step, it will feel a bit different at first but you quickly get used to it. It's important to get an accurate measurement of finished floor to finshed floor levels, it's easy to mis-measure & end up 5cm out. Have you got finished floor surfaces top & bottom? If you're adding parquet or similar upstairs this would make up a lot of the difference, just a thought.

best wishes

Tony

Hi Mark you will find where the string ie sides of the staircase meets the top floor the string will run above the floor level to allow you to cut off level with whatever skirting you are fitting,the top tread is usually thicker where it will meet the floor level above, and is a good place to loose some of your 50 mm therefore you can loose top and bottom with minimal difference you will have to cut a new rebate in and piece in to suit but it will look fine with whatever finish you put on, use your offcuts hope this makes sense, always easier to be there yours Don

don, you being a chippy, where do you get your stairs from that have  a thicker top tread that would be enough to compensate for the split loss of 50 mm. if it is 5 mm thicker will that really make a difference to the amount needed to be lost on the bottom. ?