Lining an attic roof

andyps

Hi,

Here is a first post (with many more to come no doubt!).

We recently bought a house in Finistere which needs lots of work. One of the jobs which we hope to get done this year is to create rooms in the attic space of one section of the building. The roof is in very good condition (probably about 10 years old), with wood covering the joists which is then covered by slate tiles. There is no insulation or anything in the roof and I am wondering what best to line it with - I have seen the polysyrene backed plasterboard sheets which should work ok, but wondered about other alternatives which may be used. Also wondering if it is best to fill the gaps between the wood and whatever I line it with, or to allow an air space under the wood for breathabililty.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Andy

Hi Andy,

I am also renovating a property in Finistere and can recommend the ideal solution.The product is multi-layer foil/foam sheets (approx 20/25mm thick) that come in rolls and is stapled to the u/s of the existing rafters.Before plasterboarding over provide timber cross battens @450c/c to fix plasterboard to.This product originates I think from France and is very popular in the UK at the moment.I am currently using it on my own house loft conversion it is currently accepted by Building Control as a suitable product in lieu of alternative solutions.

Benefits obviously are...easy to fit,provides air space to aviod condensation risk and is user friendly unlike fibreglass etc.The product is well known in France and is readily available at builders merchants.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Chris

As Chris says, there are many bubble/foil/foam products available in France. Go for a stroll round any large Brico. The product is also much cheaper than any similar in the UK. So easy to fit too. All you need is a staple gun and a large pair if scissors.

Whichever material you use, you should definitely leave some air gaps to avoid build up of condensation which can rot your new roof.....

They featured some insulation sheeting on Grand Designs recently (new build on Scottish coast, so insulation quite important factor). I recall the thermal spec was claimed to be equivalent to something like ten times its thickness using the traditional fluffy insulation rolls. None of those horrible fibres getting down your throat, either. As with anything, you no doubt have to pay more for the ones that provide the best insulation but no point in doing it unless you get a worthwhile gain so worth examining the efficiency figures. 

• 4 months later...