installing an electric cooker hood...

Peri Winkle

Can anyone advise us of the best way to install our new cooker hood, which can be extractor or absorbtion method?   There are no installation instructions with the kit, and the length of wire exiting from the appliance seems too short to run to a switch reached from the worktop.  We are still (just) at the stage of chasing out walls for cabling, as it is a completely new kitchen going in.

I've just put one in. It goes into a junction box high up on the wall above it. It vents into an unused, but open at the top, chimney, via a purpose built hole which seems to have been for the last householder's Aga, (or similar), flue.

Alcazar

Thankyou both for that - this being France, it seemed too simple to just plug it in, but I think that's all we may have to do.  There's no chimney in the room, so we're relying on the filters doing a good job.  First time we've had one, so fingers crossed!

Where does it fit, in relation to kitchen units?

Normally, the outlet pipe for an externally vented hood, is small enough to sit above the top trim of the units and thus to an exterior wall. As is mine in the UK.

Mine, in France will be piped above what will be a fridge cupboard (for a larder fridge) and so to the outside, since whilst it will sit next to the main chimney  - in the part of the kitchen where the old range would have sat, 200 years ago, the chimney is in use.

Does your chimney have a stainless flue lining? Is it not therefore possible to vent into the old (huge) chimney space, beside the liner?

Just a few thoughts.