Paint for new beam

Choochoo

Hi everyone

I have just replaced an oak beam at the front of our house, over the front door and front window. Can anybody recommend what to finish it with to make it look less "new " and fit in with rest of the front aspect.

Also, the internal beams are in a brown matt finish and I have to replace one of those. What sort of finish did they usually apply to these ? they are in chestnut.

Thanks to all who reply

John

We have recently done the same thing, I would let the exterior beam weather a bit first, if its oak it will tone down quite quickly because of the natural tannins, then we have used an exterior grade oil available from good wood supplers this leaves a natural finish and will protect from the weather. As for the internal beam try on a spare bit  the same oil as it has a slight colour you may find this is enough if not a light oak wood stain should do it depending on how dark the others are followed by the oil 2-3 coats .

good luck

Lilly

John, do nothing to it. Just let mother nature do her work. I'm not a fan of the hard lines or saw marks of structural sawn green Oak and tend to 'work' green Oak to blend it in to a renovation situation using a variety of tools and techniques.  If the work is more formal, a door or window for instance where appearance does matter then a good quality lasure or some of the Sikkens products work well. They contain fungicides and anti UV agents which go a long way to retaining the desired finish, the lasure is also oil based which helps to restrict the rapid evacuation of moisture from timber in warm conditions and hence slows the drying process, quite important if windows or doors are to be fitted to the frame, but that all depends on the original moisture content of the Oak and all sorts of other stuff that could become very boring so I aint going there!

I'll get some pictures together and try and demonstrate what I'm talking about in the next day or two.

Chris

take a small piece of oak that didn't get used.... mix some lime and water to a thick paste and paint it on the oak with a brush, the oak will age in front of you.... the longer you leave the lime on the darker it will become.

Be ready with water to wash off as soon as you get the colour you want... time everything and then do it on the real thing...

monti

I've found some of the ready made coloured waxes ( in tins ) to be

good, with good coverage too. Many tints and pretty convincing. Apply

with a thick, quite heavy paint brush - preferably in warm weather as

the wax spreads and penetrates much more easily... I thinks you might

be quite impressed with the results !