smoke detectors

James2

Hello,

Can anyone define the French law regarding smoke alarms in second homes in France?

I believe this year it is compulsary to have these alarms fitted, question is,

CAN THE ALARM BE BATTERY OPERATED OR MUST IT BE THE HARD WIRED TYPE?

Thanks    James2

Don't know about second homes but given the cheap price of the things it would be stupid not to have them. When I visited by insurance agent before Christmas he took time to point out that it also says you have to have them in the insurance policy (mine is with AXA) so I assume it is the same with other companies. You could therefore check with your French insurer. I would buy them in France as one assumes that they only sell ones approved for France and cost as little as eight Euros.

http://www.bricodepot.fr/carcassonne/electricite/detecteurs-extincteurs/detecteurs-de-fumee-monoxyde-de-carbone/

Hi, all dwellings must have at least one smoke detector under the law, secondary residences included, and the new law takes effect from 8th March 2015. Battery operated is fine, but best to make sure it is either a 5 year or 10 year lithium battery for convenience. All detectors must conform to european standard EN 14604, but this is clearly written on the smoke alarm, packaging, and (as I found) on all online descriptions.

The other key element of the new law is the siting of the alarm, which must be in a circulation area serving the main living and sleeping areas (corridor or hallway, etc). It can either be high up on a wall or on the ceiling, but it is advised to avoid siting it close to bath or shower rooms to avoid false alarms.

On a practical level, the detectors I've just fitted in my house today were sent post-free to France from Screwfix and arrived in 3 days. I chose to get three radio-linked detectors because of the size of the house, but legally that wasn't necessary. What the instructions for the detectors did say however was that 'dead air' collects in the area within 10cm in either direction from a join between ceiling and wall, so to avoid siting them there.

It is recommended to send a declaration to your insurers stating that you have fitted a detector in accordance with the law, templates are easy to find on Google. Hope that helps.

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]Hi, all dwellings must have at least one smoke detector under the law, secondary residences included, and the new law takes effect from 8th March 2015. Battery operated is fine, but best to make sure it is either a 5 year or 10 year lithium battery for convenience. All detectors must conform to european standard EN 14604, but this is clearly written on the smoke alarm, packaging, and (as I found) on all online descriptions.

The other key element of the new law is the siting of the alarm, which must be in a circulation area serving the main living and sleeping areas (corridor or hallway, etc). It can either be high up on a wall or on the ceiling, but it is advised to avoid siting it close to bath or shower rooms to avoid false alarms.

On a practical level, the detectors I've just fitted in my house today were sent post-free to France from Screwfix and arrived in 3 days. I chose to get three radio-linked detectors because of the size of the house, but legally that wasn't necessary. What the instructions for the detectors did say however was that 'dead air' collects in the area within 10cm in either direction from a join between ceiling and wall, so to avoid siting them there.

It is recommended to send a declaration to your insurers stating that you have fitted a detector in accordance with the law, templates are easy to find on Google. Hope that helps.[/quote]

Daft Doctor, do you know if this means they can be sited on a wall if it is more than 10cm from the ceiling?

We have ours just above the entrance of our stairs on a beam facing the stairs as you come down them just as you enter our living room. Would you or anyone else know if this is OK?

They are so unsightly, didn't want to put one right in the middle of the ceiling as they recommend in the instructions.

This was written in the Connexion article so it must be true [Www]

Alarms have to meet the EN 14604 European standard and carry the CE logo or the NF EN 14604 equivalent. Consumer watchdog UFC-Que Choisir strongly suggests that buyers opt for alarms with the NF mark, as French standards are higher
- See more at: http://www.connexionfrance.com/france-smoke-alarm-detector-march-8-criminals-rented-landlords-unit-standards-con-scam-16662-view-article.html#sthash.IcEK584t.dpuf

A Norme Français does not exist for smoke detectors 

They have allowed their mates to use the NF marking and logo if the product (is alleged to) complies with the EN 14604, mis-use would be a better word, the get UFC que choisir to do some dirty work and bingo, that will stop Johnny foreigner selling smoke detectors to the sheep.

This debacle had already made me lose all confidence in NF, now I can add UFC que choisir to the list.

OOOPs and I have just bought 6 [:(]

Do you know if that applies to the present lot now on sale or the earlier batch from a year or so ago that were withdrawn?

I had hoped that Casto being a big firm that they would have something at least legal that worked.

They are Chinese btw, so so much for NF or CE

[quote user="NormanH"]OOOPs and I have just bought 6 [:(]

Do you know if that applies to the present lot now on sale or the earlier batch from a year or so ago that were withdrawn?

I had hoped that Casto being a big firm that they would have something at least legal that worked.

[/quote]

[quote user="NormanH"]OOOPs and I have just bought 6 [:(]

[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, Norman.

I looked at the reviews on the website you linked to. There weren't many, and I didn't note the dates, just thought - I'll carry on looking.

However, when I try to follow that link this morning it won't open - I get 'The requested resource is not available' message. On trying it again now, it just shows a message from Castorama saying that the page is un available. Maybe unhappy purchasers have stormed headquarters!

I had wondered about one recommended by Que Choisir that I found when I searched using EN 14604, much dearer, but as we're also getting one for our 90 year old neighbour, we want to be absolutely certain it's going to work OK. She does have one relative, a grandson, but he's pretty useless at anything that needs doing, such as a tap washer, little leaks etc, so my husband sorts those out for her. Workers she's paid seem to have high charges, but never sort out the problems for her. The grandson's occupation? He's a French estate agent.

Hi WJT, the French law doesn't prohibit siting an alarm on a wall and within 10cm of the ceiling, it is simply that they are less effective in that position. The law as I understand it regarding positioning simply requires that they be high up, either on a wall or the ceiling. I suppose the higher the better would be your answer, but not within 10cm of the ceiling for best effect. Hope that helps.

Regarding whether to buy French (NF) or not, the ones I got from Screwfix are CE and EN 14604 compliant and of high quality, I'm sure they meet the requirements of the new French law and I've sent off my attestation to the insurer today to that effect..

[quote user="Chancer"]

On the other smoke detector thread I said I bet it wont be long before these  Superior NF marked smoke detectors would join the ever growing list of recalled products.

Being right  becomes tedious.

[/quote]

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about the types of detector .  I have had mine (CE) for many years , and as there is no penalty for non-provision (see here;

http://www.net-iris.fr/veille-juridique/actualite/34121/detecteur-de-fumees-a-domicile-obligation-mais-pas-sanction.php  )

I don't intend to change them for expensive french ones. (shades of the breathalyser scandal!)

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]

Regarding whether to buy French (NF) or not, the ones I got from Screwfix are CE and EN 14604 compliant and of high quality, I'm sure they meet the requirements of the new French law and I've sent off my attestation to the insurer today to that effect..[/quote]

Any particular model you can recommend? There seems to be quite a few on the Screwfix site.

I was in Brico Depot today (Carcassonne), they have sold out of all but the most expensive ones (with lights and 'linked'). I did however notice that the prices were actually cheaper (by a lot in some cases) than even Screwfix. I don't really understand why you would want to bother getting them from the UK unless you want the most cheapest which probably are a right load of old tat. Mind you if you want that cheap then Leroy Merlin are selling them at 6.90€ (about £5.20). Mrs Q made me put these cheap ones in all the bedrooms and hallways years ago, B&Q I think we bought them from. Bloody things kept going off and upsetting the dogs. We ended up, like many others, either taking the batteries out or throwing them away. This time round I bought some just for the hallways with lights as well and the cost just under 17 Euros each from Mr Bricolage.

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]Hi DerekJ, I bought Fire Angel alarms, but mainly because I needed 3 to be wirelessly linked. I would think that most on Screwfix would be of decent quality, the price often depends on how simple the operation is and whether the alarm has a one, five or ten year battery.[/quote]

Thanks for that.